A garden ceases to be a garden when you can not see the dirt.
- Lame Cherry.
As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.
Paul and I have been collaborating on a project...........well not really. He mentioned to me something I had no idea of, started implementing it, the humid world of the Brier spoiled some alfalfa cakes to put into the garden for fertilizer and here I am writing about it like I know what I'm doing.
The idea is that alfalfa a Russian high energy livestock feed, when made wet into a tea, make a great fertilizer for plants, and it also just in dust form makes a good fertilizer for gardens and lawns
Below you see a picture of moldy alfalfa and black alfalfa that smells like shit. That is the reason it ceased being treats for the livestock and became a treat for the garden.
I thought about making a tea, put this s tuff into a lick tub, but it did not rain, just got more spoiled in HAARP humid, so on a hot beautiful summer day, which others called killer heat, I was out sweating and playing with rotting alfalfa that stunk like shit. Perhaps works as a mosquito repellent as I only recall one buzzing me.
This is a photo of the beginning strawberry patch. The survivors are the ones the cats did not shit to death. Cats have a real target in their rear ends for finding strawberry plants and shitting on them. As cat poo is high nitrogen octane it burns the plant and kills it.
I was trying to survive and get things done, so lost the cat shit battle with the cats on the berry plants.
Below is the light application of the alfalfa. I kept it light as I did not want to burn the plants or torch the runners. Again this depends on how much rain you get. We are in a dry spell now in this 500 year drought, so it only rains when they say there is no rain in sight for 500 years.
I will mention that even as little as I had, this damp alfalfa was in chem reaction almost burning my hands in how much heat it was generating. So you do not want your plants cooked by this natural decomposition.
This is the first phase of this experiment in using alfalfa for a mulch and fertilizer. Am pleased in some of these Quinault Strawberries are going gonzo in sending out runners. The more plants you have with zero soil exposed is the kind of strawberry bed you want. Once you get it established you can just cut out strips every year to let the runners rejuvenate that part of the bed and it becomes perpetual............providing you water in a f 500 year drought.
PS: And if I could have got a bag of grass clippings for the berries I would have loved that, but I was not taking a chance on herbicide from lawns or weed seeds chopped up as I have enough problem with cat shit herbicide and weeds from the flood populating my gardens in that curse thing going on.
Nuff Said
agtG
CLICK HERE to support the popular girl