Sunday, January 9, 2011

For Janelda's Little Girl

I asked my brother the wolf as the spectre of his eyes drifted about my campfire in haunting embers and his tongue licked like the flame tasting the darkness............

"Brother, why is it, that when the winter comes, the cold frosts your fur, the snow is a hunger which will not feed you, that you stay a wolf, and not change yourself to be the big bear, who sleeps in warmth with his furry coat and knows not winter at all?"

My brother answered me, "Brother I do not know the answer, but when spring comes I know the pack would eat me for I would not be a wolf to them, but a wolf changed into a bear, and the great bear would eat me to for I would not be a bear, but a wolf pretending to be a bear".

I said, "You are right for a wolf is a wolf and a bear is a bear, but would not a change do you good for who knows what tomorrow is, but we all know what the time is now in this land as surely a change would be better."

He said to me, "Some say in the forest and plains of ice that the humans beyond in their canyons of cities have one who leads them who changed their home after he changed from a skin of Kenya to the fur of an American named Obama, is this so?"

I answered, "It is so brother, but I do not know these people as they are beyond the campfire circle here I keep".

"I do know",
answered my brother, "I know that a wolf is a wolf, a bear is a bear, a Kenyan is a Kenyan and an American is an American. One can not be the other for all things are what they are".

I watched the eyes of the wolf flicker out to the embers of the stars and thought, "My brother is right".

agtG


For Janelda's little girl who traded her mother a rubber band for the watch in play, and the next day answered, "I doan member", when asked what happened to the watch as her mother wore the rubber band all day unaware.