Thursday, August 22, 2013

The stuff that dreams are made of



For me dreams are wonderful in if I was normal in American wealth, I would buy a Ford utility tractor loader.

I first saw one of these in an old Rodale's Organic Gardening, from a time when Bob was still alive and not dead in Russia in a plane crash. That was when the magazine was small and came every month.

I have a great deal of contempt for Ford as they screwed me out of a vehicle in making it to breakdown and that really pisses me off yet. As I always wanted a Ford Ranger with dual gas tanks and when I got one, the TWO fuel pumps went out and the dealer cheated me. So I have hated Ford ever since.

Even if my dream is a little tractor with a loader, 3 point hitch and gripper tires, and it is a Ford, I'm still mad at Ford for costing me more than I could afford.

I actually built a Ford digger out of parts last year. Am quite pleased as it took like 5 years as one just can not get Dearborn things any longer and experts are more head up the ass in not knowing things than they think they do.

So I built the entire bracket framework from scratch for the three point. Used Allis Chalmers U bolts from a cultivator, put in sleeves, put on International Farmall cultivator shanks and I think John Deere shoes and the thing sits there waiting to be hooked up to a  tractor.

I love diggers and rototillers in gardens, as is fun to dig to China and to pulverize dirt to powders as little plants just love that sort of thing. Is fun, but for some reason I never was like Reagan in feeling great sitting on a tractor, compared to sitting on a horse.
Although I do like pick ups more than cars. Am quite enamoured of a junky GMC God provided for me, even if the starter has a glitch and it will not start unless the dashboard lights come on.........that is the clue in that. That remains a quirk as 300 bucks to fix that after the whiz mechanic charged 150 to find the problem is just a thing of the future.

Front assist tractors are really great  for snow and pulling things. I would be tempted to get a blower on a tractor like this, but it could not do anything but wear our really. That scoop though with loader would be great fun for the first time in pushing snow around on my drive, but I hate piles of snow..........that crap never melts and it sits there only getting bigger all winter.

Old Ford tractors were never for real farming and would nickle and time a farmer to death. Is something though in you think about it, in Henry Ford made a tractor 75 years ago, and the things are still being fixed and running.
Like the Farmalls in M's were three pieces you could take apart and always fix them no matter what. Even the engine pistons had sleeves so you just replaced the sleeves and not the engine.

That was from an era when the government and tycoons cared about Americans and making things that lasted and could be repaired cheaply.

I think the world would be happier if everyone had a utility tractor that ran. They could put a big mower on it and not take so long to mow lawns, chew up sticks and leaves.

A loader could lift things like appliances.......and a snow blower would not kill people scooping snow.

And it would make a nice lawn ornament as birds love to crap on the things, especially when new and having a nice paint job.

It sounds simple, but fixes are that simple most times as you just have to think on why Henry Ford did things the way he did.

It was the stuff that dreams were made of.


agtG