Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Apiary Adventures





In not having the money nor the time, I did not obtain this year what I desired in a hive of honey bees.

When I was growing up, we actually had a hive of wild bees in our house wall, and they would swarm at times and it was all educational and interesting in watching them on very hot days even hang from the roof in a bunch to try and cool the hive off.

We never had a problem with pollination and I always liked bees as I never was stung by a honey bee ever.......when I stopped slapping sweat bees they stopped stinging too so I am friends with all of them from mason to those metallic blue ones.

I do not see many bees now and that makes me sad. It is a situation where I have these black things in my flowers now that seem like honey bees, and I am aware of a variety they are importing and crossing to save the bee industry in America, but I just am prejudiced in I want those yellow and black striped pretty bees like honey bees should be.

I have seen several of those on my catnip and I scowl at them, as they represent what I call the bee lords. In my locality it is like some mafia in beekeepers have territories and it is like some secret society in they will not cross lines.
It sucks as I have tried to get bees here, as it is a good deal in you are given a share of the honey which is like three gallons, but as I do not have my bees, the bee lords are poaching my flowers and not doing a very good job of it, as the poor bees have to fly a mile to get here.

I call that bee cruelty and it pisses me off, as I get no honey, the bees are enslaved to fly dangerous long distances and I have nothing to play with......and I end up having pumpkin sex as I have to pollinate all my flowers to get any crop.
I have better things to do than have pumpkin sex every morning, even if I am good at it.

So I look at bees........the different varieties and I think about having my own apiary. It is not like I want to deal with the honey or anything, even if it would be fun getting out the panels, slicing off the wax with a hot knife, spinning it in a cylinder so I could pretend I was refining uranium.......you know stuff like that in Walter Mitty fashion.

I could trap raccoons to keep the hives safe......make sure they were doing good in the winter.......I would be very protective of my bees really, but I just do not seem to have the time or money to do things, and all I am stuck with is pumpkin sex.

If people want to know about pumpkin sex I am an expert.......well tomatoe sex expert too, but in tomatoes I just snap the blossoms with my middle finger  off my thumb, but in pumpkins I use an Amaranth or Pig Weed stem as they catch a great deal of pollen and then I transfer it to the female flower for a bit of rough sex.....they like it rough or it does not get the job done.

I much prefer the bees doing the sex stuff with the plants as I like watching bees having all that pollen on their legs looking like military ensignia before they fly off to mix it with spit to become honey.

I really want to get bees. Bees are comforting creatures at least before frankenfood killed the whole works off.

Bees though have a most calming and poetic effect on their owners I have noticed. You never have problems with beekeepers in they mind their own business.........even if my local ones are poachers which I will someday fix with my own colony.

It is though wonderful misery in trying to decide upon bees as there are different breeds. I do think bees should be bees......even if I like the neon types of the non honey types. I love bumble bees too and if I could raise them, I probably would though settle for one of the Italian types not that that would be the ugly duckling, but I would just want something hardy and non aggressive even if I was not going to be wrangling them.

Oh well, when I become infamously rich, I will then be off on another adventure.....



Bees For Sale - Buzz About Bees

www.buzzaboutbees.net/bees-for-sale.html
A company called Koppert began rearing bumble bees for sale and commercial pollination in the 1980s, after it became recognised that bumblebees were, ...
 
 

Hmmm they do sell bumblebees.......that would show those honey lords......have them mess with my big bumbles and we would see who gets the nectar....but I worry about those little honey bees. I do so like them.


agtG