Monday, November 18, 2013

Always enjoy looking through the Pane




One of my favorite meals is an American invention, created from rural people who worked very hard or those of the cities who worked equally hard at manual labors.

It is called a Beef Combination, and while I can not afford meat as once was the time and I do appreciate the offerings, I want those to never apologize nor feel remorse for the eating of  beef.

I have decided that in Heaven, I am going to have Jesus perform the "Let there be beef" thing starting with lions laying down with lambs, as a God Who can make children out of stones, can certainly turn out a good steak.

Steak is a passion of mine and one must consider meat really in all it's wonder, as steaks are not all created equal and God has made steak for every taste. For me, I abhor the T Bone as I do not want some bone distracting me. I want meat on my plate that I can carve into like some out of control maniac with a knife not worrying about the curb of a bone my vehicle is bouncing off of.

I like meat that has "chew" to it or fights back a bit. The tenderloin is a beautiful cut, but it is a bit too docile at times. Prime Rib can get into that roast category, and I also refrain from the more expensive well marbled meats as I grew up with too much tallow and lard on my plate, so often being frugal and pragmatic I settle on sirloin, as it not only has chew to it, but it has that pronounced beef flavor.
I can think of nothing more delightful than a grilled steak, on a day of 30 to 50 degrees, with fresh air, charcoal and some apple wood to smoke it.
All that is required as I have written is coarse cracked black pepper and salt and this is perfection that is desert.

I really like hashed browns with this, blue potatoes if I can get them, fried in hog lard, and then topped with sour cream and the same salt and pepper.

My mood right now is grilled baby carrots, in foil on the grill with lemon pepper seasoning.

For the Beef Combo though, it is roast beef. I prefer a rump roast, as the shoulder portions sometimes fight back too much.
Roasted until the meat has that marvelous deep brown is the start of this wonder.

There never seems to be enough fixings for gravy in a single roast, so some beef bones in the pan and rendered of their marrow to that rich deep brown, then begins the gravy part so essential to this, with a slight bit of sweet onion to hint of that family.
Thickened with flour, but never to take away that deep brown color as this gravy is always a more molasses consistency and not the thick pudding kind.

Next up is the mashed potatoes. I like red or white in this, but I am very picky in potatoes should not be whipped and lose their ability to stand. For mashed potatoes one just adds butter, heavy whipping cream, and with salt and pepper, gently mashes them until they are just mixed......do not over do the potatoes as we are not fixing gruel.

Vegetables are a frown in this, as most times the establishment would place horrid green beans on the plate that were overcooked by some plant before stuck in a can. Lovely sweet corn does very well with this and adds so much to the plate presentation.

To build this meal, you slice the roast beef into generous pieces about 1/4 inch thick and place them on a slice of bread to make a sandwich.
Upon conclusion, you slice this diagonal.

Separating them, you place a generous heap of potatoes in the center with a little indentation, and then you pour over this that wonderful gravy.

To do this right it basically fills the plate and there should be consternation where to host the vegetables.

I do like more salt and pepper to top this off, and then you invest the next half hour devouring this creation.

I seem to recall this thing almost killed me at age 7 the first time I ordered it as I had no idea what my Beloved Uncle was ordering as it was the first time I had ever eaten in an establishment. This meal though when finished seems to sit in ones stomach upon conclusion and your stomach says, "What did you feed me", as it sits like a rock, but it is such wondrous torture to enjoyed and suffer so much at the temptation of beef.

There was an immigrant who came after my people came to this land. The people gave him a quarter of land to live on and farm. I always remember the story of this old German, because they said he always was so happy for other people's fortunes and would be joyous when someone else had a huge crop, and never complained when his crop was not so blessed by God.
I have never forgotten that, and I do take great delight in hearing from people who are enjoying the things God has given them, and that includes the eating of beef. I do not envy nor do I bid evil on rich people or those who have things, because I can still enjoy things through them.

It delights me in the cooking of beef and it delights me to know others are cooking it, for how it sings when cooking, and behaves so well to the flame. I cherish the experience and delight in knowing others are enjoying the things I enjoy.

I do though now have to go be nurse. I also have to slay a dragon as no one is going to get away with touching my TL.

Thank you reading this though, for what is better than Vikings and Texicans builded with grande castles of beef.

God bless us everyone.

PS: Americans used to eat a huge breakfast of bacon, eggs, hash browns, gravy, toast......the do  that combo thing, in between lunch, then another lunch and then something for supper equally plate heaped high, followed always by deserts, deserts and deserts.
What a wonderful life to work so hard, that that amount of food left the boys still looking for a late night snack.

Beef still looks good even on someone elses plate and if the rich do not let me in the door for the feast, hell I can still look through the window pane.


agtG