Saturday, November 30, 2013

Bok Choi



I am running an experiment with TL as one of my amusements. The entire scope of this is my adoration for the Asian cabbage known as Bok Choi.

I really like this vegetable, as it has an odd buttery mild flavor to my palate, and I use it for stir fry in one of my sweet and sour recipes much to my joy as TL partakes of it.

My Mom long ago taught me that celery plants you buy in the grocery, if you leave the center plug with a few of those little yellow stalks attached, that when planted will grow as it resprouts roots. It is a matter though that one has to plant them to not grow in the heat of summer, and in celery growing them in a more shallow hole to blanch the stalks, but celery will indeed reproduce for the astute chef from an original plant.

This is what started me on the Bok Choi this autumn season as I had the plants and TL had some pots from defunct flowers, so I stuck one in, and now another, and they are really giving it a hard try to do something.

I attempted this in my garden this summer, and the plant grew, but in the heat, it was destroyed as most oriental crops like cool weather to produce.

The little Bok Choi are now white and green striped leaves and reaching out. The fun part is, you can put the little things in the dirt with no roots, and you will have a pretty little plant in a few days. This is my experiment and I have no idea of what this will accomplish, as winter will kill these plants even if the cabbage family will deal with some teen type temperatures.
I do hope for production results, and would personally appreciate the opportunity to assess if I could get production, if they would in being harvested, and replanted start production again.

It may be they might go to seed, as the cabbage group in part needs two seasons to flower and seed, that I might have Bok Choi seeds. I doubt these plants will like being indoors for any length of time, but as this cost me nothing and I will gain the million dollar knowledge, that is worth this to me.
I especially like baby Bok Choi sitting by the glass door where I can peer at them and smile as they stretch out. They certainly are as ornamental as any of the pot plants sold for immense sums. If it only comes to a few stalks and leaves I can harvest, that is a win too, as I doubt TL would appreciate my chewing on the orchids TL has growing, so it is Bok Choi.

Well, I am off to read and pray, and peer at the baby Bok Choi, as chores are accomplished for the day.


agtG