Saturday, December 21, 2013

Red Eye




While I am fond of Caramel Rolls and thankful for recipes, this North Dakota invention of the German Russians has always intrigued me and I hope one day to make it and try it.

Schmaks gute

Wedding Schnapps (Red Eye)

Carol Just Byhre, St. Louis Park, Minnesota, e-mail message to Michael Miller.


I grew up watching my father make this recipe. He taught me and I have taught the next generation. It was served at my first wedding 32 years ago, but seemed to be a forgotten tradition until I began to teach my nieces and nephews about the history and uses of schnapps. Since then, it has been served at their weddings with a little history lesson preceding the first toast.
Wedding Schnapps
1 Liter 190 proof Everclear
2 cups white sugar
5-6 cups hot water
Melt white sugar slowly in sauce pan (or electric fry pan). Stir it constantly so it doesn't burn. Brown the sugar to a nice amber shade (about this time you will notice the caramel scent.) Slowly add the warm water and stir until well blended.
Using two empty liter bottles and the everclear bottle, separate the liter of Everclear into three portions. Add enough of the sugar mixture to fill the bottles. If desired, add flavorings. Cherry and licorice/anise seem to be the favorites. I'm a purist and don't like to add anything to an already wonderful product.




agtG