Sunday, February 23, 2014

More Life Saving Knowledge




As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter......

My children what I am going to provide you with now is going to sound like a story. The idiots will glance at this story and think they are far superior and do not require knowing this information, but it is that million dollar information which you are going to have to know and comprehend, as some of you will  be displaced and as conditions change you are going to have to know how to deal with the environment as there will be no buying a new one in the store.

The lesson today is about the coffee table I built TL and offered to build one for a rich person for a few hundred thousand dollars as it is a Lame Cherry design.

I violated woodworking rules in building this table as it is constructed of two 1 x 12 planks or something like that and I put a miters two by four skirt on the bottom edge.

The net result is the table like me developed stress fractures due to the dryness of the location. It made a nice split in the left end corner, as I glued the top and screwed it down to be secure, and the pine not allowed to float split.......like my knuckles crack in this arid locale.

There is something going on here as there has been a great deal of wind here, like plains state wind. You know the kind of wind they have when it is 70 miles per hour and it is considered a breeze. I have not been shown yet what this means, but I know it means something of a clue of the upcoming weather season. I assume a scorching heat with rain that burns off.

There is nothing I can do with the coffee table, so the crack is part of it's character. It is like the nice little bread board I fetched home for TL from the junk shop. It was fine where it was, but here it has dried and developed a crack at each end. Oiling does help, but it fights it every day.

Oil is most interesting in you know that linseed oil was what was used for harness, because rodents and insects did not like eating that oil.
I will tell you to remember the above as you might need to remember such a thing one day, as perhaps a porcupine might be eating your axe or oar handles due to the salt and oil in your hands which is an attractant, and if you need your boat or escape or your axe to cut wood, then of course a boat without an oar is just a target and an axe without a handle is an opportunity for someone with a handle to beat your brains out.

Are you starting to get what I am talking about in this or are you now thinking that linseed oil should go on bread boards which would make your bread taste like poison.

Oils are not all the same. Canola and corn oils are light oils which soak into wood like water. Olive oils are more viscous so they coat a board and do not soak in as rapidly, but they do tend to assist the wood in not expanding and contracting with moisture.

Some of the worst of problems are knives and guns which have a war of steel and wood going on constantly and causes fractures, loose things and things not accurate. I suppose buying a plastic handle or stock might suffer the situation easier, but odd thing how plastics melt in fires or they just seem to have a due date where  they just turn to crumbles.

Odd thing too in if you try to use animal fats, that they might go rancid and if you get bright in wanting to use bacon grease, how all that salt just causes problems......then those bears do like bacon too and start hunting you up.

I love building things out of wood or metal, depending on my mood. I like knowing what is in a piece of furniture and not just adopt it from a store and have it be a stranger.

I once saw an eight foot aluminum duck boat, by some manufacturer which I think is passed. I really wanted that boat as it was perfect. It was aluminum and looked like a boat, and not those punt boats which look like kayaks and were built to assassinate ducks for the meat markets.
Thing is you can not even find them in search. Be impossible to ship one I suppose too except heavy freight.

Boats have wooden seats in them in that old class like wooden sterns for the motor. I replaced one which my beloved Uncle had, but it is a 12 foot thing from Sears or something, but looks like a fishing boat. It never ceases to amaze me how the things I want are never around, and as soon as I have one, then everyone wants two.

I think it is time to go back to work, not that this was not work, but it was more pleasant than most things in I like wood, metal and things made from the union of wood and metal.

Can hardly wait for the day all those Chicom tires go tits up on tractors and then people will have engines with hubs and try to farm their plots with them. They made things to break for profits. What happens when all your breakables break and you are getting food poisoning because your bread board has rotting food in the cracks.......


agtG