Sunday, November 22, 2015

Getting a Handel on Things



From the desk of the Tiger Lily.

Just a quick aside to the Viking in the conversational flow-- from one who makes LC listen to the Four Seasons as part of our running repertoire (fall is my indubitable favorite as a whole), there is also the occasional Wagner (who is too somber for me), Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Bach (of course), and my favorite GF Handel who it amuses me that he is a German but claimed by the British as "their composer" as he rose to become director of the Royal Academy of Music.

Mozart was part of my upbringing, although his music for the piano was too sprightly and non-emotional for my youthful tastes (and not worth the effort of practicing for my perfectionist Russian/Ukrainian teacher, especially the "majestic" ending of the Turkish Rondo)... I was more fond of plinking away on pieces by Beethoven and Debussy.  However, his orchestral pieces are way better than the stuff I was initially exposed to.

My musical heart currently belongs to Handel and may always if for no other reason than gratitude for keeping me sane through the last year of the hellacious workplace I was constantly exposed to in nonstop allergies until we moved to the briar patch.  His Messiah oratorio was one of my mainstays and to this day I can listen nonstop.  There are probably better versions, but this "1751 version" directed by Edward Higginbottom of New College Choir Oxford was what I stumbled across and I am more than content.  Hearing beautiful Biblical passages set to such glorious melodies and harmonies sets my soul on fire.

Anyway, I wanted to share a peek into our world, and thank you from both of us for what you've shared as well.  God Bless you, the Babygirl, and Mommy Turtle/Tigress always in all ways, in Jesus' Name Amen.

Off to bed we go...

agtG

PS:  A huge thank-you to Jane for writing, I am sorry I have been so reclusive, just getting to the point of somewhat being recovered from the latest onslaughts.  LC and I are praying for your situation and am glad there was something God Spoke to you through in my meanderings.  :)