Monday, February 12, 2018

Fleischklößchen






As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.

OK you know about Beef Stroganoff, but I have been working on my own recipes for years as I have no time for mushrooms. My original recipe called for Velveeta, but as the last time I had that it almost killed me like a dose of Agent Orange, I have not been eating Cherry Stroganoff.

This recipe is a new version, as I can't afford stew beef, and this is designed to be a light version of a heavy meal.

OK here goes and this is to feed for a few days a normal American family.

Meatballs
1 package of crackers crushed
2 teaspoons of oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
mix and then add
2 pounds of hamburger
2 eggs beaten
Mix

I use a cookie baller to make my meatballs. They are sort of ragged and flat on one end, but hold together.

Fry these in two skillets. I like mine rather brown and jerky dry as browning adds an additional layer of flavor to this dish.


Sauce
1/2 large red onion diced.
1 large bell pepper.

Saute in olive oil

2 cans Campbells tomato soup
1 can of beef bouillon (use the tomato can to measure.)
1 to 2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
1 teaspoon of salt


Add 1/2 package of frozen peas, and bring it all up to a bubble. Understand the natural sugars in this will make it stick, so do not just let it sit there and burn.


Once this is hot, add the meatballs to the sauce, and let it simmer for a few, as you get the table set.

What you will end up with is something Christmas pretty in the green peas, and the paprika gives this a deep rich color.
Serve this over egg noodles. I prefer the wide ones.

The flavor of this is sweet and light which is surprising as no sugars are added, except the natural sugars. I used sour cream, not in the solid form, but when I have passed date cream that I get from the grocery, and it goes bad sometimes, that is the sour cream I use. Makes fantastic sour cream raisin pudding.
What is the nice surprise in this, is you are thinking, "This is kind of sweet and not much going on" and then you bite into a meatball, and you  think, "Oh that is nice beef browned flavor", but as you eat it, a second wave comes through in the oregano.
This Italian kind of French gal I knew told me, "Cherry, NEVER in Italian cooking put the basil and oregano in the same dish. The basil goes in the Marinara Sauce and the oregano goes into the meatballs." I tried that and did not like it, as I like oregano in red sauce, but the point is, put herbs into the meat. It only works though if your base sauce is cream or cheese based, as you need the cleansing base to make your spicy meatballs stand out. If both are hot, then your taste buds just get whammed and your stomach starts tightening in thinking you are poisoning it.

So this is German Meatballs, Fleischklößchen, no dill and no sauerkraut. It is a way to get beef into a dish with 4 dollar a pound hamburger, to feed some people the old way in stuffing them full of noodles, mostly sauce, something flavorful, and it is all poor man's food.


Oh and this........




Do not ever add cream to a beef bullion or beef or you get the above which looks like vomit. In most instances you will run into this shit with hamburger which is dripping grease or a very lazy woman claiming Swedish heritage who serves this up with wet, large meatballs, where the bread soaks up the tallow, so you get this thing that looks like you just ate puke and when it is in your mouth it tastes like you want to puke it out.
Beef sauces require tomatoe, bullion gravy, and a starch thickener to preserve the deep rich color which does not look like cat vomit.


Nuff Said


agtG







agtG