Monday, June 29, 2020

A Dick in the Fold







As another Lame Cherry excluisve in matter anti matter.

It is difficult in the brier patch to explain the meaning of family, because you are related like Jews are related. In my world you are "family", friends and neighbors and in most cases, they are all about the same affiliation, even if you are not related.You have your sphere, and then your family's spheres of friends and neighbors and it is all this woven pattern of people who bascially in the hundreds trust each other and stick together in doing almost for the other.

So when I say Dick is family. In reality, his parents and mine are cousins, as our grandparents were related. We are though kind of a double shot, as his Grandpa was my Grandma's first cousin, and his Gram was my Grampa's sister. This may sound incestuous, but it is all different bloodlines, but it is what happens when big families intermarry.
If you want to get really complicated, his Aunt married a cousin of ours, and that cousin's Grampa was both our Uncles.

None of this is about that though, as this is about Dick in his dry humor which is like Jack Benny in the American hinterlands. So he starts out telling this story as we had been drinking beer, as it was our cousin's birthday, which I think everyone came for the beer. So Dick says,"

I am coming out of the grocery store the other day, and you know the entrance has all those signs and things, and there is this old woman waving at me.

(He is doing a duck and bob of this woman just flailing her arm away at him.


I am thinking, who is this old woman as I don't know her, so what is going on here.

(Then the punchline comes.)

I get out there and it's like "Oh Shit!", I know her as I went to school with her.


This was Dick realizing that he is no longer a child, that maybe he is now the old man and not the youthful stud duck, with his 13 year fiance living with him, and her fat cat.


Dick is family, because he is one of the nicest, most honest, and good natured people around. He has more personality than his cousins from that side of the family combined. I remember him getting groceries for his Grampa, before he died, and looking after him a grear deal. He looked after my goofy girl cousin when she went away to college and he has always been a solid citizen.

He is though quiet, until he tells some sarcastic humor on himself.

He just reminds me of how many good people have died, and how most of what is left, I would that the Lord would have culled them out instead. Dick is someone who I will never hear shit from like the goofy cousin who informed me of how superior her saintly father was to his brother. Yeah I suppose that is why everyone hated her old man and liked the heathen brother.

Once again, another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.


Nuff Said


agtG