Wednesday, April 24, 2024

To JYG to or not to JYG toy, that is the question

 




As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.


This is a survival lesson based upon JYG and life.

As you can see by the above we have snow. It was starting out as rain, ice, then slush, then snow on top. In the Brier, it is not going in 10 days. This is a month into this crap. I got stuck in the yard parking this thing.

Judas Priest is the one who JYG was selling this for. I wanted to compare it to the pick up box  trailer that JYG made for us as this is a Ford F 250 box. JYG's was a Chevy from the 1970's.

We put a topper on top of JYG's as he had one. I like that. JYG cut the frame on the Chevy welded a scrap tongue with a ball on it. That was just a 3/8ths and I bent it with 3 cords of wood in the wagon. So get a half inch ball for your towing.

The Ford is different though. This thing had some money put into it. I put 200 bucks into it, but it had new tires and a jack on it......that is 200 bucks plus, so it was a good deal. It tows really well, but as I said this thing was made by some town person and they spent the money.

It has fold up wooden sides, the jack and as I got to looking at it, I started to frown. 

I have one of the weaknesses in this wood wagon circled. I first noticed that the wheels had bearing in them. They were front wheels off an F 250 with 6 bolts in them. That red circle show the "axle" which  I am not going to crawl around in the snow, but looks welded on to the wheel hubs. As I am typing this the Holy Ghost is whispering to me, "This is a prefab trailer, and someone used it as a base to put a pick up box onto it, and put the front wheel hubs onto the axle by welding it, to have bigger tires.

I know the trailer is too pretty. It is light metal, not like JYG's honkin' heavy thing. That would make sense and why this axle is too low. This thing is not what you want pulling in Texas sand or mudd, or Brier Patch snow. It will be like pulling a plough and get you hung up and stuck.

This was a real doozy of a design though in not too bright. I won't be able to tell about the sides, until the ice melts. As TL found a Frabill bait bucket, near as I can figure is this was some town dude, who spent the change on a really important piece of his outdoor world. Dude tried hard, but dude must have died.
I have no idea what the sides were for as I do not think there is a top for it.


Meet you on the other side.



So Dude had this. Dude goes tits up or old folks home. Dude's wife has no love for the thing, so it sits in some place with grass  growing up in the wheels. Wife goes tits up and the kids don't want the thing. They sell the place to some jackasses, who tell Judas Priest "Hey this is a nifty trailer. You take it." So JP takes it, pulls it out to JYG's and JYG offloads it on me, as I want another wood wagon to keep our wood dry.

Oh it has leaf springs galore but I don't think this thing is heavy duty. I just can't figure what dude made this thing for in his wildlife sorties

My thoughts are to ask my neighbor who has his one salvage yard if he has a topper to put on this  thing, as if I have to build a  metal roof and do the sides, that is allot of time, effort, money and weight. Just would save time in rigging it with a topper.

It is prettier than JYG's old Chevy but it ain't as heavy duty and that has me wondering what it will take to bust this thing. The tires went a bit flat on JYG's invention, so wood does weigh a bit. I think I will get more than flat tires on this as is going to bend. and break and make me frown, like I am frowning looking at that axle. I mean, Judas Priest. what kind of dumb ass puts an axle that low on a trailer? It is just asking for trouble, which will belong to me.

I will have to explore it a bit. as I do not think I can unbolt that axle and get it turned up to the top. then of course there is the reality I will have this thing riding high, which is not what I want in a top heavy load of wood. That was the problem with JYG's invention in them springs made it bounce and sway. There is not fast pulling that thing home fast.

So JYGs has the rear axle yet in place, same height as a pickup. I do not have the drive shaft joints cover so that 5th member spins, pulls a bit harder, but it is what it is. It is though a blessed sight better than what this Ford rig is, dragging it's knuckles like a Neanderthal.

So that is your lesson in survival in what to not do and what to do. I just hope when the ice melts that there are some hidden treasures in the box that will make me smile. I think if found a catalytic converter which will go back to JYG as he was not happy about not getting anything out of this deal.

I just think this is a sissy wagon. The kind of thing a town kid would get and pretend he was some outdoor Nimrod, pulling it around. For what he put into it he could have got an old horse trailer and been further ahead. I just would like it to be nice so I could go under there and see if I could remedy it or will be frowning about this thing and wondering about it in the times ahead.


Nuff Said.. 

agtG