As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.
This is a fix that anyone can do. I'm convinced of it as this has happened twice.
JYG's brother has a junk dump that I prowl around in as it on the roadway, and this last time I stumbled upon a Jiffy Ice Auger. This was one from when they started making them, probably in the early 1980's.
As JYG said, "Probably just a fouled plug as people throw things away".
I brought it home and pulled the plug. It was used but not fouled to the point of a problem.
So I put in some gas, a little 2 cycle oil in the cap and I tried figuring out what was the on off switch, the choke, the throttle and the primer in how much to goose it.
I gave it 6 pumps and pulled the cord, had the choke on, and by God the thing fired, and I pulled a bit more and it ran chuggish for a bit.
Got it going again, but nothing doing in I tried to get the throttle going and nothing revved up and and she quit making noise.
No more starting, no matter what. I tried it the next morning after a shower of rain, and it would not do jack or chit.
So doing chores and rummaging around that afternoon I did another visit. Did the primer, set it to full choke, and pulled and was thinking after awhile that this was going to someone who knew what these horrid things are to make them run, and by God it fired up. Dude was smoking some, is a loud boy, I tried the throttle after lifting up the auger and thank God, it revved up. Auger turned and everything. I let it down after it started turning, and got the choke off, and thank God it kept running. So I gave it one more test to break the fun, in I lifted it up, and hit the throttle wide open and due was belching out the blue fumes, and it revved up and kept going, exhaust got clear and he was running like he was not a 45 year old boy.
Let him down when the auger quit spinning.........well I let it down and the grass braked it, as it was really interested in augering now......and as it idled, I was thankful to God and hit the off switch.
I sent a chainsaw off last year after finding it in the same junk pile as the auger. I could not get the thing to run past idle. Sent it off, no charge as it was running fine when it returned. You might get the fix in this if you have a brain in carburetors sometimes if they sit for years in a garage, just refuse to work as they should. I do not know if a jet plugs, and the gas acts as a solvent if you leave it for awhile, or if the diaphragm gets stiff and the gas soaks it to functionality.
Carbs will sometimes self fix if you let the gas do the work for you. You can have fun tearing down carburetors but the Chinaman stuff now is not the best replacement parts. Alcohol fuels do screw with carburetor diaphragms. They get stiff, but is not a game ender, just inconvenience. Is why I use straight gas now with 2 cycle oil. I know the pre mix is now the game as it is now all expense, but this old stuff pretty much keeps cranking to life on the simple stuff.
So if you see some junk in a pile or a garage sale, just know if it is not running, it probably will with a good gas soak. Things not running makes for cheap acquiring and free in the junk yard is a right price for me.
I will do more loving on this ice auger now that it is behaving, but when you know that they do not make them like this anymore and they are now 300 to 400 dollars, that is my kind of economics with non donors.
Nuff Said
agtG