Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The real man before God

In finding some George Armstrong Custer personal letters, a child named after a Methodist minister by his dad, Emmanuel in the hopes he might become part of the clergy, I thought it worth sharing the most intimate of his thoughts and direction in life...........none of which is the person hated so by small people and vengeful Indians.

I sincerely believe after reading these letters and the common George Custer philosophy expressed, "I will not answer those who degrade me, but trust that all will turn out right", is the inspiration for a person who held George Custer as a hero, in Ronald Reagan who sought to play him in the movies and often expressed the very same philosophy when attacked in life.

When one thinks they know Autie Custer, his words and those expressed about him by those who knew him paints a different portrait in front of God.

Without further comment...........


Custer to his wife, Elizabeth: The trait I first learned to love of you was your religious earnestness. On the eve of every battle I have never omitted to pray inwardly, devoutly. Never have I failed to commend myself to God's keeping, asking Him to forgive my past sins, and to watch over me while in danger and to receive me if I fell, while caring for those near and dear to me. After having done so all anxiety for myself, here or hereafter, is dispelled. I feel that my destiny is in the hands of the Almighty. This belief more than any other fact or reason, makes me brave and fearless as I am.

Custer to his wife: I pass along these compliments given to me by the commanders as I know you will not share them with anyone as I do not want to appear vain.

Custer to his wife: When I think of how successful I have been as of late and all that has been said of my conduct and gallantry, I think, "She will hear of it and will be proud of her boy". That is all the reward I ask.

Custer to his wife: I would as soon harbor a doubt of my Creator as of my darling little wife.

Custer to his wife: I do not enter the army as some do leaving wealth, position, comfortable home, but I do infinitely more, I separate myself from my heart's darling. But it will not always be so. A better time is in store for us.

Custer to his wife: If I were to die, my last thought and my last breath would be of your name as my thought is of you in every battle I enter.

Custer after a fight at Royal Front to his wife: Imagine my surprise at Confederates after we had driven them back being all regulars in the army and stoic to see ever man and officers alike, turn and take their cap off and give, "Three cheers for General Custer".

Custer after a battle to his wife: I wanted to tell you that I did not curse once during the battle nor did I even think of swearing. The staff has even commented upon it. I have kept my promise to you in not doing it.

Custer writing to his wife after her letters to him were captured and read by Confederates: I have captured Gen. Mumford's private correspondence. He had captured mine at Trevillian. I have tied them into a bundle neither reading them nor allowing others to read them. I think the relation of husband and wife too sacred to be violated even in war.

Custer to Capt. Farish a captured rebel in civilian clothes: Capt. Farish you can not meet General Sheridan in slippers. Your feet look about the size of mine. Here take my boots I have on and wear them.

Custer on having a war horse during battle fall on his back: We had an engagment at Ashland and there my preservation from death, or being maimed, crippled for life, was miraculous, and strengthens my grateful dependence on the Merciful Being Who has so often shielded me. May I live to glorify Him and keep His commandments!

Custer upon desperately missing his wife: I do not complain, for that I should deem a sin. God has been more than kind to me and I humbly trust I may ever have a grateful spirit for His goodness.


Confederate General Kershaw as Custer's prisoner writing to Elizabeth Custer on hearing of his death at the Little Big Horn dictating the letter to his wife as he could not see well enough to write:

As he neared the conquering legions, cheer after cheer greeted his approach. Bugles sounded. Sabers flashed as they saluted. And the proud cavalcade filed through the open ranks, and moved to the front, leading that magnificent column in splendid array. Methought no Roman victor had a more noble triumph.

I saw Custer no more.


George Armstrong Custer, the real man before God.

>
//// \\\\
// \\ God bless the Good