Monday, October 10, 2011

An oil change

I was sitting in Government Motors today with my Mom getting the oil changed in my typical Sherlock mode assessing all those around the premises and was listening to an old gal have a strange conversation I was on the end of, in "jumper cables were in the back"...which I thought odd, until the story unfolded she was trading vehicles.

I said to my Mom in passing as we have to sit in the reception area, and not walk around looking at new vehicles every time, 'Husband died and the wife is trading cars".
Mom doesn't get everything I'm mind reading on, so in a bit the gal comes out with the swindler car salesman and he is telling her that it will be about a half hour for the paperwork and then she can be on her new car way.
(It was an hour as I timed him.)..........I do wonder as he drove off with her car, just how not topped that gas tank was with the cheapest fuel he could find after promising a full gas tank........

At any rate the old gal started prattling to some geezer and out popped, "My husband died"...........chalk one up for the Holy Ghost.

I said to Mom, "That woman didn't think much of her husband.......probably worked some herself, but he died and left her a wad of cash."

The reason for that assessment was the pick up she had parked there trading in, was a very nice Chevy Silverado extended cab, topper and the old boy had really liked flash as he mounted chrome pipes by his door to really make the Chevy snap...........problem was the vehicle was covered with red dust.
I could see she had turned on the wipers and cleared it off the windscreen, but there were these blops on the bonnet or hood and roof, which just looked like this was a woman who didn't give a damn.

She didn't appreciate money, because her husband had earned that money for the most part....I know this as the pick up was dirty, and if she gave a damn about things, she would have washed it before trading it in.

Soon she was prattling again to the geezer in probably having now noticed how filthy that thing was, and said, "It was in the machine shed and "they" park things in there".
Somewhere in this I knew this was "children" and machine sheds are on farms, so we had children who had a great deal of money from the old man, and were fondly remembering him by squirting hydraulic fluid on his pick up, as they didn't give a damn about him either.

Prattling again she said, "The children thought I should get something as the car had 90,000 miles on it."

Oh yes, the lovely children, with such kind thoughtfulness for mum, decided for her to get a new Buick car....which can not get through snows she will find in winters, but she will have this new car they can all feel wonderful about as they rip out all memories of the old man.

This really got worse as I amused myself with this drama, as I soon heard the swindler chattering on about "making one trip".............and then I knew, this wife was so desperate to get the old man gone, that she traded two vehicles...........and I would estimate the average five grande for the new car as dealers always find ways to screw idiots over, and that dealership will end up making around fifteen thousand off this trade in that dead husband getting screwed over again in the grave.

She had a perfectly good vehicle which would take her anywhere at her around 70 years of age, but just had to get a new car to flip her husband off for not letting her repaint the damned house every few years as she was bored.........and this wonderful "family" apparently can not vent enough pent up hatred fast enough on the dead guy.

I have on my shelf a 22 short. It is one of my prized possessions from my Uncle when he passed away. He honored me by giving me a share of his traps, and I view all things of his as HIS yet and always will, as they are not mine to sell, but only his to keep in trust.
Uncle was someone who hated me as a child, but I just stuck around being a good kid, and he learned to appreciate me.

I would watch his house, do his chores, and get his mail for the weeks he would be gone, and not take anything for it. His reply always was, "You damn sh*t I will even it up".
I would usually get a hundred dollars for Christmas in a card with a thanks........I figured with 5 dollars for each trip in gas, that I netted about 2 dollars a day working for him.
He would take me fishing and that is my fondest memory for payments for watching things for him. It is one thing I still would like to do, as I have not been fishing for over 10 years since he died as he was just too much a part of it all.
I keep everything he left me as it was the day I received them. His medals are on my wall to honor him and there is not a week that does not go by that I do not miss him or think about him. I don't mean to leave the impression he was perfect as he could piss me off, but he was one of the best guys I ever knew and I miss having him around.

In contrast, his brother was left his very ample boat to take his daughters fishing..........the boat got sold very shortly...........as did most of the things my Uncle had. That bothers me and is why I notice widows in the car dealers, not giving a damn about a guys pick up he obviously thought a great deal of........and the kids could not care less either, in none of them wanted "dad's pick up" as a keepsake or at least to run the wheels off of until the memory was gone.

I know people can be bastards, but it is like Solomon said in The Fool too, in people live their whole lives and don't have a person to leave their things to who amount to a damn.

Pride should have this wife and her kids wash that pickup, but she left it dirty and stained, just to work through something in she thought that man had dirtied up her life and stained it with his presence...............

Some stain in a thirty thousand dollar new car, and the luxury of dumping all the husband was on a swindler just to be rid of him.

I would call that cold.

At least I don't think they pissed on his grave and had a Mexican pound her on the tombstone.........at least yet.


The tears of a woman shed freely like the spring rain
For trifle, for trinket, of imagined refrain.
There to wipe dry in torrents they fall
But the tears of the wife dry fastest of all.




agtG