Monday, July 8, 2013

Quasar Instamatic Microwave Oven





Being like most Americans now looking at the pretty people have things while I'm like Jimmy Dean running along the river bank saying, "Man what a deal", when steamboats were going for 10 cents a piece as he didn't have the dime.........before Big John, I venture into adventures of throw aways as I'm sort of a  throw away myself.

I believe I mentioned this previously in the archives in I purchased for like 3 bucks an ancient Quasar Instamatic Microwave.
The problem with Quasars in their electronics is they built the the things to last, so the company went bankrupt.

In picking this monster thing up, I soon found online that it was a strange thing as people who owned them were more fond of them than their own children, and approaching a love for them like the after life.
Of course, there were not instruction manuals any place for these Quasars which makes one frustrated as they are sort of complicated like flying an old 707 in trying to get them to start.

I did post I believe a sequence of instructions which did work that involved pressing the digital 1 second time, which goes for over a minute, and then the CLOCK, COOK, START and this would at least heat things up to boiling, but no control of time.
You have to hit CLOCK again to stop the counter as it counts the time you have left the food in the microwave.

This all changed as I was away with TL and my Mom decided to heat up a toffee bar and literally incinerated it to smoking on the original instructions. Why on earth she left a bar in the thing that long on high I could not fathom, but she also had the digital board hot when I was away for some reason too.

In any event, being frustrated, I looked at it, and the Holy Ghost said, "Do it this way", so I did it this way, and by God, literally, the Quasar worked so I can now set it to any time I care to.

The digital board has 10 minutes, 1 minute, 10 seconds and 1 second on it. Sounds easy, but if you do not hit the correct sequence it will never work, and you have to end up unplugging the thing to reset it all..........which gets old.

So for the Quasar worshippers out there, and I apparently am one, and will buy another if I ever find one in a used junk store...........here is the correct sequence to get the thing to work.


CLOCK..........POWER............TIME........START

If you want to defrost, you go:

CLOCK.........DEFROST.......TIME........START

There are things to know in this too. First the POWER setting will go from low, medium to high in pressing it different times. Press once for HIGH.

Time is set by pressing the 10 minutes, 1 minute, 10 seconds and 1 second panels.

It is vital in this to know that the one second panels and one minute panels will only go up to the 9 mark I believe as one has to press the 10 minute and 10 second panels for longer periods of cooking time.

I have though been able in this to touch 1 minute, and then pressing the 10 second panel 4 times for 40 seconds and then the 1 second panel five times for 1 minute 45 seconds, so infinite numbers of cooking times are now possible.

There are more panels like cook, frozen foods and things, temperature setting, hold and whatever, but I'm content I just can run this thing now to specific times to heat things up, as that is all I want to do with a microwave.

Oh, TL received an Amish cloth thing which you put things into to cook like potatoes. It worked fine until I got ahold of it. Apparently the rotatary platform had some oil on it or the cloth got oil on it....any way, I about started it on fire.

I apologized as was a gift, but in an interesting turn of event's as I was digging through packing  stuff, I found TL's microwave cloth bag. Apparently the one I burned up was TL's sisters which got packed in, in the packing.

I'm sort of in the mode of not knowing anything about any of this, as one does not like admintting one burned up things by accident. Perhaps I should sue the Amish for milions of dollars and they would settle for a farm, a buggy horse and buggy......harness included........and an apology for making genius me look stupid in not being able to use a piece of cloth.

I do like fire though. Something comforting about it.

I digress.........

It was my confessional though as there are no bless me fathers in my religion.

Where was I?

Oh yes, the Quasar manual in how to get that bird off the ground and flying.

They used to have this cool sound effect with this Star Trek chic sounding voice saying QUASAR. The good old days when color television was new, Obama was still an Indonesian, Sulu wasn't a fag and being an American was not defined as being a criminal.

Is a good deal. These things apparently last for a generation and people demand they be repaired more than taking their children to the doctors.

Oh, the Amish........I want a horse blanket too. A real one made out of a dead horse, with some kind of long lasting quilting ...........yeah I want two horse hide coats too in one for the Tiger Lily and myself.........a farm, a buggy, harness, horse.........and a horse hide blanket and two coats.

Yes that will make up for whatever happened to that burning Amish tater cloth.

Bested by a tater cloth...........the brilliant are always done in by the small.


agtG