Friday, August 23, 2013

Now for something completely Incindiary




I have many interests and chemical reactions just happen to be one. Once upon a time there was a man named Julian Hatcher who worked all his life for the US Military and when he retired he wrote for the NRA's American Rifleman.
In that Hatcher compiled a great deal of notes, one of them being Hatchers Notebook. That works is a benchmark concerning military firearms and their cleaning.

Cleaning is most necessary as everyone likes to pull the trigger, but few ever want to clean a gun.

One of my favorite gun cleaning brews is Hoppe's #9 as it smells like perfume to me. Another is Hatcher's formula which can be found all over the internet in various modern forms, where you can make a gallon of the stuff for like 30 dollars and it would last until Jesus comes back.

A Montanan, named Steve, has the PDF file for Hatcher's Notebook and his books are interesting in what he provides for the public to dabble in.

In setting up my laptop, I noted that I did not have Adobe or a PDF reader on board, so I downloaded two of the damn things and both wanted a secondary download, so I said SCREW THAT, and went back to a little German file reader that I use and put the link here, as you can download a stand alone version that requires no installation.....meaning you can burn it to a disc and always have one on hand which is what I would do if I had a burner, but will get one when I have the money.

One reason I like having files on hand, and books, is I dislike being always put on Homeland lists for looking at things I am curious of. Like when I was gaining an understanding on marijuana I lit things up, and the breeding programs fascinated me in the various forms of hybrids out there in they were quite designer.
It is the same with Hatcher in so many things are linked into firearms now, that there are pyrotechnics which fascinate me, as who has never dreamed of making a 4th of July rocket that would go 5000 feet into the air to celebrate things.
I saw that once on PBS in a Chicago kid.....I think is the one who wrote that Christmas story in the BB gun shooting his eye out......well his old man built a rocket for the 4th and lit it off and it chased people around the neighborhood.....that was a big mother of a rocket.

So it is things like that.......you know they used to use fertilizer bombs to blow out stock dams and water holes as it was cost efficient, but now you start trying to assemble something like that and the government gets all focused on things like that thinking something bad is going on.

I really enjoy the military armories and proving grounds. The codgers there from the old days, always had things worked out and Hatcher was one of them, and his work is still groundbreaking. He does use whale oil though, which is just dewaxed oil.....meaning it is modern transmission oil these days.
See there is so much to learn and know, and how can you ever really know things now except from the old innovators, as they do not teach you anything in school any longer.....although my shop teacher when I was mouthing off did tell me how to hotwire vehicles as I was saying that was a necessary thing to know.

I think that is enough and as Steve has bandwidth problems his books should be treated like gold. Speaking of which I have to see if I can find a book for that above photo, as I saw it in the library, but am not about to be checking it out as I only like "my books" as library books always feel odd to me in all those other people's vibrations on them.

Happy browsing and enjoy the spiders of Homeland.



agtG