Friday, December 27, 2013

The Heart of the Orient


Below is posted a Patriotic Poem from Japan in the 19th century, upon the execution of Japanese troops who had fired upon French troops in killing them.

I wonder as the Spartan faded to the mysts of legend, if there are really any Japanese left who in their hearts believe the prose, as if there are any Americans left who still remain who would regret they have but one life to give for their country.

The prose says it all in beautiful form in the tinder of the soul and the flame of the spirit of mankind.



       Though I regret not my body which becomes as dew scattered
        by the wind, my country's fate weighs down my heart with
        anxiety.

        As I also am of the seed of the country of the gods, I
        create for myself to-day a glorious subject for reflection
        in the next world. The sacrifice of my life for the sake of
        my country gives me a pure heart in my hour of death.

        Unworthy as I am I have not wandered from the straight path
        of the duty which a Japanese owes to his prince.

        Though reproaches may be cast upon me, those who can fathom
        the depths of a warrior's heart will appreciate my motives.

        In this age, when the minds of men are darkened, I would
        show the way to purity of heart.

        In throwing away this life, so insignificant a possession, I
        would desire to leave behind me an unsullied name.

        The cherry flowers too have their seasons of blossoming and
        fading. What is there for the Japanese soul to regret in
        death?

        Here I leave my soul and exhibit to the world the
        intrepidity of a Japanese heart.









        私は露の散在としてなった私の体ではないけど後悔
        
風によって、私の国の運命はと私の心をダウン量る
        
不安。

        
私はまた、神々の国の種子の午前として、私
        
対日自分のために反射するための輝かしい件名を作成する
        
次の世界である。のために私の人生を犠牲に
        
私の国は私の死の私の時間の中で純粋な心を与えます。

        
私はストレートのパスからさまよっていない私として値しない
        
日本人は彼の王子に負う義務。

        
非難は私にキャストされるかもしれませんが、それらは、尋できる人
        
戦士の心の深さは私の動機を理解するだろう。

        
この時代に、人の心を暗くしているとき、私はだろう
        
心の純度への道を示しています。

        
この生活を捨てるには、取るに足りないので所持、 I
        
私の後ろに汚れのない名前を残すことを望むだろう。

        
桜の花も咲くの彼らの季節があり、
        
フェード。日本人の魂がで後悔することのためにそこには何か
        
死?

        
ここで私は私の魂を残し、世界に示す
        
日本人の心の大胆。



agtG