Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Sodbuster



As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.

I have for a number of years wanted a Sodbuster knife. They are a pretty knife by design and have a factor which I always look for, in they are cheap.

They were so cheap that everyone else wanted them for Christmas, which made a late Christmas for TL as of course my wanting a knife, TL got one.

These are Imperial knives which means they have been cheap before I was born, as they were a brand of knives meant to appeal to people who would not spend a fortune on a knife, but wanted something which would still be a knife.
There are unfortunately brands of knives like that which are all dull and worthless.

It is why I like Old Timer knives in being a very good price and utility. I adore my Trapper model, but this knife has been calling to me, like those Clyde Hickory butcher knives which sell for a few dollars, and I picked up two in the junk store last year for a few dollars less.

This is a product review of the Sodbuster by Imperial, selling for like 7 dollars for the big whopper and like 6 dollars for the smaller version. Yes I purchased two as TL needed one, and I have this loss which amounts to my Grandpa had a knife. I have no idea what kind of jack knife it was. All I remember is him whittling on things, including my fingernails I believe like my Uncle to my terror, but Grandpa's knife was what they called a jack knife.

It was a rounded type, with this off yellow I suppose some type of mother of pearl thing which was ghastly, but that knife was solid and he had it sharp as it always took a good edge, with those big blades.
I have never seen another knife like this, and suppose it was something he was given as a promotion or bought cheap out of a store. I suspect some evil relative has it, and I am in no mood for evil relatives, so all I had was the memory, until I decided this ghastly yellow Sodbuster in small model would suffice.

I like these knives a great deal. They are well made. Balance in the hand well. They also are sharp to cut paper. They are not lock backs, but lock up tight enough to probably not do any damage easily to a hand.

I like the feel of the synthetic material, in it is smooth and it is light, so the knife has the right heft to it. I wonder about them being smooth in blood and moisture might make the knife slip, but without any checkering that is what one gets. I will just use them as I do all knives with care.

The liners look to be brass and the pins brass. It is just a handsome knife, that you can imagine some tubby, bib wearing farmer in a hat would use to pry off a chaw of tobacco, castrate a hog, saw an end of rope off for splicing, pry a rock out of a horse's hoof, glean the grease off a hub and then peal an apple for lunch.

Yes my Grandpa's knife seemed to involve skinning skunks and all sorts of other adventures as he used it to slice me off some apple which I ate.
Never hurt me, never got sick and never knew the difference if I was not thinking about it.

I have both of the knives here on the coffee table I built for TL, and they are growing on me. I like this yellow one and I like that big black one too. Some knives just have that Euclidian 47th about them, and these have that prettiness which just makes you happy as they say they want to go with you to do things.

That is important as big honking knives always feel like a pregnancy until you get used to them, and these two are large, but quite smooth in appearance so they will carry well. I am amused as my jeans all have that faded knife wear mark on them which advertises what is in my pants and I am not happy to see people, nor are they me when they figure out it is not an ipod and a big honking knife.

It is odd about knives in I never think of them as weapons like the TSA does. They are just a tool I carry which can find neck veins in bears or criminals or for apple slicing if the need arises.

I think therefore I will recommend this Taylor Brands LLC knife of Imperial Schrade as they are so deserving. I just can not get it through my head that a knife should be expensive like a Case or a Buck knife. Seems nonsense to me in 50 to 150 dollars for a knife that might get itself lost. I feel bad enough in losing a cheap knife and an expensive one would really make me upset, along with fact that I would not like using the expensive knife in it is expensive.

I also do not like the steel in Buck, Case or the other knives, and I have no idea if it is the same steel as Schrade in hardness. What I do know is I can put a quick edge on these Schrade knives as the steel is just soft enough and yet it holds an edge for a long time. I see no sense in wasting hours polishing up a knife edge. I do have better recreation than that to waste my time with......waste more time on this blog than life should afford too.

Anyway I would like to be a spokesmodel of Schrade knives as I do use them and I do have them. My first knife given to me at age 4 was an Imperial. I lost it and found it, and still have the thing and I did use it for a number of years with effect.
I had a dollar once at age 5 and found an Imperial knife which I thought pretty and bought it for my dad for Christmas. He never used that knife as he said it was too pretty to use, so it sat in the drawer, and when he died, Mom gave it back, and now it sits in my drawer.

This is an American knife company and I recommend purchasing your knives from them for quality and for the reason of they made the effort not to ever price gouge the public for their history like other companies have. They are made in China and it is one thing the Chinamen are getting right.
Just was figuring, they were all out of stock at Christmas and it took like until March 7th to get a fill order. That is pretty good for the Chinamen in getting the big whoppers back in stock and as I stated, they are all very nice knives.

Am happy that Christmas finally got here and it seems worth waiting for. I believe everyone should have a few pocket knives. I am not much on the little ones and as stated I like the Trappers best as they were built for skinning animals, but fit in the hand perfectly for whatever you use a knife for. I do like these Sodbusters though as they are designed for what a farmer would use them for in slicing potatoes for planting, trimming leather for a harness and I suppose stabbing some bandito trying to stab you down on the border.
I always look at knives with fondness in like forks, how much experience and use it took to arrive at that design which fits the hand so well that you do not even notice the object.

I am impressed and that is all that matters. I can hardly wait to put this into my big pocket and see how it enjoys going on adventures with me.


agtG















S