Thursday, December 11, 2014

cherry medal banana bread




As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.


I phoned Mom up about a banana bread recipe. I do not like banana bread that much.......just think of those black bananas I was forced to eat as a child in Grampa's strawberry jello with more bananas than jello....and Mom's bread.....and me gagging on ripe bananas.
I do not get that, but a ripe banana just gags me.........a green one I can eat fine.

So anyway I got Mom's recipe sort of.......just sort of pancake dough, so off I went.........and there on the Gold Medal bag was a Best Ever Banana Bread recipe............I never read labels for always reading them, but want to share it, as this one  turned out pretty good.

Ok two things.......I had no buttermilk and would probably react to it, so I used like a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to sour it for the baking soda, and I used vanilla, although Mom had none in hers but there was vanilla in this one, and here is a thing I am trying.

I have some old walnuts........old walnuts taste rancid as the oils go bad. Not like to throw things away, I soaked the buggers in hot water......washed them three times in hot water, and then forgot and left them soak to soft.
I am hoping that will make them not so strong tasting.

Here is the recipe though.

1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups bananas.........I used two large bananas
1/2 cup cream
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts.

I baked at 350 for like an hour.....banana bread is harder to get done than Obama being arrested. Check it with a toothpick.

Here though is what I tried and it seems like the solution in this. I have this 2 dollar or  something food processor, and I put in the bananas, the cream, and the butter, with vanilla.  It turns into into this whitish looking paste. I did not think it would lubricate the flour, but this worked very good. It was definitely wet enough and it raised very well...almost too wet as the top cracked on the loaf all pretty, but it is really impressive as this was the first banana bread I made and as it was for TL, that makes this all better.

I have not sawed into this thing, but I am impressed as all that other banana bread has those black things in it as Mom mashed it with a fork, and this one was pureed so thorough it has no darkness to it.

I is excited and this looks almost as good as Martha Stewart's things that TL's cooking always looks like. Everything TL does looks like Betty Crocker pictures......mine sort of looks like something a hobo might come up with on a good day.

I dislike food processors, but if you rinse them off in hot water immediately, things seem to behave in a hygienic manner.....it helps having the thing on the counter and plugged in to save on the work.

I would have chopped the nuts up to a powder too if I knew they would not make it all taste rancid in their being old.

Guess I will know by the time I read this if bathing nuts solves their distasteful flavor.

Do not even go there.

agtG