Monday, December 15, 2014

commercial romas




As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.


This is an update on the grocery store Roma type tomatoes I was testing as they did not make me ill from eating them.

They started out with what was 8 seeds, and all sprouted in a plastic container sitting outside on the deck in May. One broke off and went leaves down, so that left 7 plants.
Odd thing in the first robust and best growing tomatoes are being surpassed by others that I had thought not worth keeping.

As of August the first week, they are all now blooming, and I have a few tomatoes set on. I am the bee in this in I put my middle finger on my thumb, and then flick the blossoms, as tomatoes are male and female, and by doing this I pollinate them, as I can not count on bees anymore, the weather or the wind.

The plants are leggy, in not a great deal of heft to the stem. This can be from being in planters, but it is probably just this commercial type in being open, so the fruit can be seen by Mexicans for picking.
I assume these tomatoes are Mexican or Californian in origin. No specific variety, other than a Roma type.

I do not expect to be able to can tomatoes off of this for paste. Very few paste tomatoes ever produce loads of tomatoes for me. This was more of an occupy my time and save a few dollars by growing our own fruit.

As a million dollar knowledge. TL had some plastic fasteners, which TL allowed me to confiscate as tomatoe ties. The deck has some one by one rails, and I have these ties loosely around them. It appears a good system, and one which would work on posts I believe. Certainly better than twine or other things I have tried. The plastic ties slip up and down the plant and constrict nothing.
No tests on 80 mile per hour winds snapping the plants off at the plastic tie fastener thankfully. It simply is making due with something on hand, which will not get me yelled at by the owners.
TL does say  the deck looks like a jungle now.....well compared to the other decks. I see an Asian with a bamboo which is interesting.........the Afroids have two lawn chairs in that hot as hell deck......tomatoe gal has I think not tomatoes, but something growing there.....and then animal print gal has two pots with those "no tending needed" marigolds or things just lonely on that deck. So I guess this small area does look jungle like, as the squash is yellowing in not enough moisture and fertilizer to make it look sprite. The Armenian melon though has set on two cukes with God and my help.....one I save for seed, and other will probably be vinegar type fresh slices.........see another one either set on or is dormantly waiting to grow.......must mean seed is set in the first biggest melon.

This Roma does seem to work. I see though many fine roots on the top of the planter. The Slippery Elm has bountiful roots too.......they grow like weeds too in pots like Sugar Maples.

I deem this ok for salad tomatoes and they should produce ample enough, as I keep flicking the blossoms.

This seems to be working out though, while the peppers from the store last year, were mules in not reproducing. In most cases though, I can not see spending 3 bucks for a packet of seeds, when if I want to try a variety, I can just save some seeds from something I am eating. Only God knows what this will mutate to if it keeps being grown. I guess if it would produce 20 tomatoes per plant, that would be 140 tomatoes........and that would mean enough to process a few which I have neither money nor jars to do. Still would require the 20 to set on, and I might have to pinch the tops of these off if they are indeterminate or have them draping over the rail, which would probably gain too much attention to have me yelled at.
The pretty hibiscus might though do a great deal of public relations work when it starts blooming to the street, which is probably next week.

I much prefer the brier patch with all of it's problems to this deck gardening though.

I see a mason bee is visiting.........


agtG