Tuesday, December 16, 2014

container 3




As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.

I praise God for exposing how ignorant I am as without His Holy Ghost I would not recognize and learn. If one peruses the apple adventures here, there is a list of observations which seemed to work and not work with apple sprouting and having those sprouts grow.

Currently we are on Batch #3 which was the hydrogen peroxide sprouted 3rd group of apple seeds from a group of approximately 50 seeds, mostly Honeycrisp, a few Braeburn, a Pink Lady and maybe Ambrosia as I was just saving seeds.

I planted all in one quart plastic container and it was no more than 17 and 10 shoots appeared. God decided to rain to the seedlings were covered in 1 inch of water, and it rained for a day and then rained a bit after. This apparently in that 65 to 75 degrees was just the start, as being moved by God to perhaps repot them at 1 inch tall, they had 3 inches of roots below them.
Batch 2 was barely an inch of roots, but less rain, but I did cover them with a plastic lid for high humidity. A second container with sprouts never did grow.


As one can see, none of this makes sense, but I am recording what worked and this Batch 3 worked well.

In transplanting into a black clay potting soil, I had them wet for two days, to soaking in water from the bottom and then taking them out. The net result is 8 literally started growing from the first day, and the last 2, after 3 days are like the others, in I am watching them grow, as in 8 hours I can see new little leaves forming.
The potting soil is fertilizer enhanced and all the trees are a dark green color. So this amount of fertilizer does not burn the roots and they apparently respond to it very well.

The heat theory is out the window, as it is 85 to 90 degrees with high humidity, and the trees are thriving in it. Why the heat was detestable before, perhaps is in that period of germination in which they desire cool, and after their tap root goes down, they seem to like corn growing weather.

The only thing I am certain of is God knows more than I do and I am grateful for the lessons and the Holy Ghost pointing things out in observations for the memory banks.

Sprouting takes a bit of time, but the period which has been difficult for me has been the sprout to leaf bolt stage. I have had problems with tomatoes in this too in too wet, dry, cold or whatever in the past. I will learn the secrets by God, but it is a matter of remembering what does indeed work and recording it. I can not with no funds repeat God's rain pattern, but this Batch #3 is amazing to watch generating apple wood and leaf to prove that they can indeed grow like weeds if conditions are correct.

For the current pattern it seems, that the seeds need to be a bit wetter in the paper towel than what is suggested. Temperature of 40 degrees does well and is the medium between the 35 to 45 degrees stipulated by the experts.
Sprouting seems to be a 65 to 75 degrees, wet situation in 100% humidity not a problem
After the tap root is established, apples do well even with 85 to 90 degree heat, with high humidity, providing they are of course well watered. I did notice though by day two of high water, that the trees were balking a bit in giving me warning signs of being too wet, so I let them dry and dampened them only with about a half of water as it was very hot yesterday at 91 degrees, with a heat index of 100 degrees.
Afternoon shade and only sun until 1 o'clock PM.

Now for the clinker in the works.

These were Honeycrisp and perhaps Braeburn. Important caveat as I assume all species of plants have within their genus, certain types with like weather in certain patterns. You will notice in part, that I am not recording Caucasus weather where apples originated in those white lands of mountains, but here am I recording what Minnesota weather is, in being beastly cold, pneumonia damp chilly, and then a rapid fire heat of Confederate warm up in dripping humidity. The type of Australian weather too without the cold.

So these apples like these conditions and what others do in like New England weather, you are seeing a pattern also.

I do know the most vigorous of the 10 are one with red trunk, and two with slight pink, and the rest are green trunks. Having no idea what trees these are or if they are reverting to parentage is a matter of apples, as some apples have deep red sapling bark and some are a greenish tan.

I am thinking the groceries now have cold water misters for vegetables on display to keep them fresh and ponder if a rainwater barrel with a little pump misting fruitlings might be of service, without cooking them in sun and maybe relying on artificial light which displeases me....maybe a green house type setting with the plants on the floor.
Again more work, when God does the work so easily.

Here am I though thankful for this new information as it does stun me. I have one last sproutling in the fridge whose seed was cracked that I kept seperate as it was an Ambrosia. I dosed it with a good shot of peroxide a few days ago as it looked like it was trying to sprout and it responded. I am hoping it sets itself free with a longer root, but will dose it again if it stops to ascertain wetness response in the seedlings.
I certainly know what does not work, and am being shown what does in the million dollar knowledge.

In needing land yet, I wonder what these experimental trees are going to be and hope they do not winterkill as there are zone 5 trees in this group, and frown thinking, that offshore the main apples were Braeburn, Granny Smith and Pink Lady, which are not cold hardy, and on American shore, these  apples crossed with only God knows what as the world is full of at least cold hardy apples which are crappy like MacIntosh, Cortland and I forget as I will not even look at those horrid fruits.

It would please me if they revert to things, that they revert to Wealthy and Fireside apples. As some apples have banana aroma, some taste like licorice, some spiced like wine, it would be nice to have some kind of mango or kiwi thing, but then that would be pine flavor and sour.....and I am not much on that I guess. I do know my ideas when compared to God's designs fail, in He already has what these trees best should be and that I know will be the best.
Probably end up with 100 apple trees as that was not the plan, but the delight was in the learning and the experience

Maybe the problem is I have been too timid in not asking God for enough land and money for all that has been intended.


nuff said

agtG