Monday, January 12, 2015

good or bad




As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.

So like I was reading on how to sprout apples, and found a post by a gal sprouting strawberry seeds, and that was good, but it was bad as I forgot how she gathered the seeds.

So like I was without internet to look it up, which is bad, but that was good, as TL picked up some strawberries.

That was bad though as some of them were a bit too ripe and were rotting, but that was good, as I was able to see that some of the berries had seeds which were huge.

That was good as the rotten parts had seeds which I sliced off the skin and put them in the fridge in a plastic bag until I could look things up, but that was bad as in low light I did not see, and left one of the skins on the cutting board all night.

That was good though as in the dry air, it dried out and I could see the little seeds and the Holy Ghost said, "Look here now you bright girl (well He did not say it that way, but it writes out better that way), this solves the problem of how to get at those seeds in that slimey strawberry flesh, in you just dry them out".

That was bad though, as I did not have them all dried out, so TL had this large plastic bowl I decorated the sides of them with and they stuck there nicely, but that was bad as I worried they might mold inside the kitchen.

That was good though, as I sat them outside on the deck to dry by the sun, but that was bad as I worried something might come along and eat them like a robin.

But that was good, as nothing came along, but it was bad as I was concerned it might rain, so I brought them inside.

That was bad though as I worried if they would dry overnight or mold, but it was good that they did not, and I sat them outside again to finish up.

That was bad though as I am now worried something might happen to them, so I am sitting here writing about it all wondering in anxiety if the seeds will be fine outside.

That is bad though, as I worry about all the international readers of this blog, in a word like "fine" which means "good or acceptable" in this sense, but in others it means a monetary penalty or being well.
That is not good in some foreign reader thinking I am running the hazard of a monetary penalty for placing strawberry seeds outside from the Obama police state or that somehow putting seeds outside makes them well or me well in medical terms.

That is good though, as it allows me to explain and extrapolate on the strawberry seed process in I desire when we have land to grow my own strawberry plants from seed.

I presume now when the skin dries that I can just flick them off with a tweezers, pin or knife tip, to further dry them......and then the gal site just said to sprout them like one does apple seeds in cold storage in stratification which I do understand from existential or actual experience.

I imagine these are like California berries, so I do not know if they will survive the cold as well as some types. My original strawberry was one called Quinalt. It was a huge tart berry............TL picked up some wild strawberries here which are in the fridge yet, and I seem to desire them also.
I had a yellow alpine berry plant once, same small berries, but I did not save seeds as it seemed too large of mystery to deal with small seeds..........like celeriac is a dust seed which is just repulsive for me to deal with. I am working my way to strawberry seeds in not being so phobic small now and perhaps someday in a cold frame I will attempt celeriac seed sprouting.

Strawberries are pretty easy, in they just need a great deal of water, and if you are bright enough to have a large bed, you can just roto till two strips or beds every two years to renew them like the French flag or something. The runners do the work, and if you keep things weeded and fed, you just pick a heap of berries.
That is the problem with strawberries in they get to be work in so much fruit that people get lazy about them, as they are much more fun eating then picking.

Never thought about it, if these are Juneberry plants. That would be bad, as they only produce one crop unlike the constant production ones..........Juneberries have the biggest berries and is why they are grown. Now I am upset wondering if these are not what I want in it will just be an experience to see if I can get wee baby strawberries.......that would be good, but it also would be bad.

Guess it is something to live for to find out in what kind of strawberries I have.......these will probably be all unique plants in these seeds and not runner clones......an entire patch of unique berries. That would be good.

So now you know how to get the wee seeds off that slimy skin.......more million dollar knowledge, so you do not wash your seeds down the drain in trying to clean them.
I reckon if I had a mind to work at it, that in a decade I could breed strawberry seeds by selection which would be as big as popcorn.....be easier to plant, but not much fun to have pomegranite sized seeds........which is why I hate pomegranites.

Post Apocalypse: I was shown something by the Holy Ghost's direction in this which makes this all very simple. When slicing off the strawberry skin, keep it relatively thin and when placing it on the sides of the bowl keep it seed side up, and hang it in pieces like wallpaper. The reason is, the skin has enough sugar that it glues to the bowl. Placed in the sun where nothing can get at it, it will dry to looking like fruit leather with goose pimple skin.
This took about two sessions outside in semi dry weather.
You do not need tweezers, but only your fingernail, to just dislodge the seeds then which fall into the bottom of the bowl. The tweezers or knife would in fact harm the seeds. It is important though to keep the skin flat on the bowl, and stuck to it to make it easy.

I had some seeds balled up into a gunk, and they were entombed and were destroyed as they are soft fragile seeds. That is why keep the skin flat and thin, and it all goes well.

Try to get the biggest seeds which are on the largest berries obviously.

One more thing, when putting the skins on the bowl, leave the bottom of the bowl empty and about a two inch space on one side. That way when the seeds drop, they are not hard to see or gunked up on other skins. The same is true in removing them to the 2 inch clear spot, in you can just herd them into a small ibuprofen bottle, which I leave uncapped to complete drying......or they might end up in a plastic bag to sprout.

Thing is though, this is the million dollar knowledge to make this easy in obtaining the seeds. I have I think about 40 of them which hopefully will be growing berries past Jesus coming back.

nuff said


agtG