Wednesday, January 21, 2015

sourdough sweet





I have a dilemma.

I have been making a sourdough bread that is a mystery, a .......well enigma like me.

You know sourdough, tastes like sourdough right. So like I make this sourdough out of whole wheat grain, but I do not add yeast, as I wanted natural yeast in making this distinct from all other sourdoughs..........you know like France had moldy cheese by the region based upon unique mold there, and Americans have only like 3 kinds of mold and most of that ends up in one mold being for buttermilk, cottage cheese, cheese cheese and whatever which makes me sick from over exposure.

So I got this sourdough and first batch it was nice enough heavy bread that was crumbly. Next batch we baked in a circle..was heavy but really fine grained.
Thing is the first batch was sweet and then sour as you ate it.......second batch is like sweet sour the whole time with the emphasis on the sweet and it tastes like a Kosher wine really.

That is what is odd about this, as the first batch smelled like vomit in the fermenting jar which is what it smells like.....then it got this scum on it and I thought, "Well stir it in for the second batch as yeast scum is not going to kill anyone," so I do that, and then the sour scent disappeared, and even with new fodder to feed it........this stuff smells like sweet wine.
Granted it is wheat wine, but as someone who ferments wine at around 10 gallons a year, this is odd to me, as wine no matter the source from dandelion to rice, it has this sour scent to it.

The dilemma in this, is I seem to have found some yeast that is so special it is like bread mold yeast known as penicillin in being unique. It does not seem to look so special sitting there in the jar all crusted up, the wine in a brown beer color on top, and the flour settled to the bottom on the greasy stove at Mom's, but it is in being not really sourdough in that strong flavor the product base has across American markets, but this is a sweet tangy dough fixing like none other.

I can see why if the old sourdoughs upon the Peace River liked sourdough if this is what it tasted like as this is addictive in being a beautiful experience that does not make one pucker in the least as some rank doughs do. So now I have this several hundred million dollar natural sourdough fixing and there it sits only of benefit to us.

I still do not have this figured out yet in this bread, as it does not rise like Dudley of the Peace River said it should. Mine takes like 8 hours to expand, and then it does rise a bit in baking in the last batch. Dudley said it doubled and then doubled again in baking.
Dudley or Vera said that this stuff was used to make 100 loaves a day by trappers, but shit pot Hannah, girl from Tarzana, I just can not see how I could get that kind of rising, even with a 55 gallon fuel oil barrel and an oar for my spoon to stir it all up.

I like this stuff. It is natural and it is the best sourdough or whatever ever. It was just 4 cups whole wheat flour, 4 cups warm water to make the batter and 2 tablespoons sugar and set upon a pilot light for 3 day to make it work. It is just sitting on the stove now, and thing is, it will activate the moment I feed it again, which will be when I make bread again or perhaps pancakes in trying them.

I tried this sourdough in more salad times before TL and it was sour and I give it up, as no one else would eat it, but now I wonder if it would have sweetened or if this is just so rare a sourdough that it will never be repeated.

Too much pondering for the head or brain in one's head.

The recipe I knocked together was 3 cups starter, about 3 cups unbleached flour, 1 tablespoon hog lard and half a cup of sugar, with 1 teaspoon baking soda to both rise and settle the sour out of the bread as Dudley directed.
Still does not behave as I demand, but next time I will put it into an aluminum pie baking tin with parchment paper and see how that wrestles it out..........the old trappers used gold mining pans and I have them too, but figure the pie tin will work too.
Think that soda might go in later or something and maybe the gas will not escape as much and rise it up quicker and make it lighter......just have been easier if I had been riding around on a Cayuse or Nez Pierce spotted and got to watch some old trapper making bread with bear lard as we dined on some moose steaks.
Always wanted to shoot a moose with a 348 Winchester.........oh some nice baked goose shot with a single shot 12 gauge would be a good substitute for the moose......providing of course we had some plum pudding or sweets for desert so we did not get stove up.

Yes to be Billy Dixon and have my French cook, using buffalo chips for fire, and my sourdough bread, my quart tin cup, some lambsquarter or up north some cattail shoots and steaks broiling with a dugout in the lees. I will though have to do some more studying on this before the Holy Ghost shows me how to perfect all this.

You do know that you should probably finger this out in the comforts now and not when you got riots, nuclear fall out or Latins trying to rape you as Chicom invaders are gnawing off your gonads right? The time to learn things is before glass jars are worth more than your right testicles.

I wonder if I have a new category in sweet n sour dough or swour dough or soet dough......I have no time or resources to see if I can recreate this, so in my ignorance I have the best dough by God out of natural yeasts on the grain hulls.

I do think that flapjacks or pancakes will be easier, as the batter having soda added to it, goes bubbly right away...........sugar, egg and some milk, and some butter and syrup might just be ok too.


agtG