Friday, April 12, 2024

A Winter Coat

 




As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.


Unfortunately in this post, I'm not a benefactor of Carhartt apparel, because this is a prepper advisory on something people should maybe have on hand.


The subject of this is, the Carhartt C003 Traditional Quilt-Lined Duck Work Coat



It is important you find the COO3 version as this is the Arctic coat they sell.


Now for some background. I got a dead guy's coat out of the Thrift several years ago, and it was on the edge of wearing out.  I see these coats for sale on Ebay........yeah like 50 to 80 bucks plus shipping and that is not cheap. In fact it is stupid as farm stores sell these for like 160 bucks. So spend 110 on a used coat or 160 on a new one is.......self evident.

Mine is quite wore out now. My plan is to get a canvas sewing machine and renew this thing with a new canvas outer. I need the sewing machine for that and they are like 300 to 500 bucks.

OK, What I like about this coat is it does not tear on things. I like it has a bellows string to sung it up so wind does not blow up my back. I like the big deep pockets. They could be bigger. I like it keeps wind out.  Mine is big so I wear a big quilted flannel shirt under it that I dug out of wicked uncle's garbage pile as he would not put in a zipper and that works to about 20 below if I am not out in the wind.

Now what I do not like. I do not like it does not have an inner cell phone pocket. I do not like the top pockets are too small for a cell and are too small. I do not like that I have to wear layers under it to make it Arctic warm.

I actually found a factory second at that woke Sierra for 79 bucks. It is now part of my survival gear. I get about 12 years out of these coats as the canvas is not like old canvas in it just wears out hanging there.

This is not a rain coat, but this is an outer coat that will do almost what people need. There is not any commercial Arctic coat  that anyone could afford, so this is the recommendation.

That is not to say I am a Carhartt fan. Their goods are too expensive. They really are not that up to extreme weather. You can get almost as good Berne or Key canvas coats allot cheaper. So I am really more of a two used Carhartt coat gal than am going to be buried in them.

When I redo the one I have, which I do hope to do, when I get a sewing machine that is able to handle the work, I am going to leave off the top pockets and try and expand the big bottom pockets. To me they are not quite big enough or deep enough like the old Trapper coats. Maybe I can figure something out for the cell phone......all the pockets are velcro as you can not fumble with things in the cold, and the zipper is heavy duty metal......so will see what I come up with.

For most of America though that is not ever going to get Arctic air, this coat will do the job. I often sweat in the one I have in shoveling snow or moving things so the liner shirt is left off.

In any case, this is a pretty good product. As it sun ages it works for duck and goose hunting as is the same color as dead rushes and yellow labs.

I guess in wrapping this up I will say what you should not buy. Do not buy something that you can not snug it up around you. Do not buy anything that is not canvas or it will rip, snap and catch on fire or melt. Canvas is the best material for long wear. This C003 should be twice the stuffing and have a fake man made fur or sheepskin in the interior as that nylon shit is always cold and collects moisture.

So you can see I do not work for Carhartt or whore for them, or they would be making a coat what would actually be a good coat and worth 160 bucks.


Nuff Said



agtG