Monday, September 12, 2011

The Piss Pot


I love the things God gives me which I wrinkle up my nose at, at the time, because I think I know better, and in time these things become my favorite artifacts of proof of how little I understand and how much I do not know.

I like junk........yes things in junk piles, because I have a kinship with things thrown away as not being good enough. So I take things home which no one else wants, and fix on them, beat on them and weld on them or sew on them........and pretty soon I have something that has character which I would be loathe to give up.

One such item, I'm making spaghetti in as I type this, and I deem it the "piss pot" which is about as derogatory term as one can put on pot, because in ye olde days that is what the Ma and Pa Kettles used was a pot to urinate in, as going outside in the cold got you pneumonia in........so they stayed inside and usually peed in a pot which sometimes still had a layer of ice on it.

I do have such pots.........in fact I have a rather antique heavy aluminium quart pan which somehow found it's new calling in catching little goat pee, instead of it going on the floor, as it has a perfect 30 degree slanted handle.

The piss pot of title though is a rather thin stainless steel thing, which God had me find a rather heavy cover for which perfectly fits it.........and a rather thin copper bottom.
Not as thin of copper bottom as the Koreans put on their thin pans which does wear off.

Now I have heavy cooking attire from India which I love, but this pan was sitting there by it's lonesome, so I picked it up much to my frown as God's Spirit was accomplishing it and my Mom's disdainful scowl as she always thinks I'm too rich in pots and pans, as I have too many of them.

This pan though sat about the place in doing odd jobs for about a year, and earned the piss pot title as I just knew a loathsome little thin pot was no good.......but God refused to let it be lost or piled under my piles of pans, and a wonderful thing happened as I was forced to start cooking with it............

It boiled up homemade German noodles perfectly..........

Even caked up with flour from this brew........it cleaned up spotless.

It makes absolutely perfect homemade Texican chili, with real homemade pinto beans it will cook up into a perfect sauce that is just syrupy.

It refuses to stick, an burn things...........it just will not burn my fingers when I grab it's far too thin metal handles...........it simply behaves...........making beef noodle soup or anything else that I even brown meat in the bottom which should be a disaster.

This pot is like marrying that girl you see in pictures............you know Audrey Hepburn who you think would be good for nothing but looking at as she was certain to break, and the next thing you know she is kneading bread, milking goats, skinning some fox and shooting some enemy soldier off of you...........and best of all, she is still pretty and doesn't look like some Muchelle Obama after a pile of kids with a big but and tits which wrap around her like an ammo belt.

I should feel ashamed for calling this pot a piss pot, but I delight in the affection of this in how wrong I was and how wedded I am to this handsome manly pot. It even has the audacity to not make my pasta mushy when I type this too long!

Ok, for noodles and pasta, Mom says you just boil your water, put in salt, then put in your pasta and let it soak with THE HEAT OFF for 20 minutes..........pretty good deal and a green way to save energy.

My sauce is one quart of tomatoe sauce, 1 pound of hamburger browned, 1 onion chopped and sweated, 2 clove of crushed garlic, 1 tsp each salt, oregano and basil, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1 tablespoon of sugar.....sugar in Indian cooking as here is a spice as it brings out a richness to the sauce in thickening it and changing the color to a sultry deep red..........you will see.

That is it, and that little piss pot did not even have one spaghetti stuck to it.

I do so like being wrong when God is always so right.

Think I will have some of my white wine I produced with this.........bon appetite Earl Perot.


agtG