Sunday, July 7, 2013

The story of Spoon




The Citizen is always interested in knowing more about me. While I have no understanding why, as I appear like a pair of blue jeans............yes they are there and one can appreciate their rugged use, one does not watch them for a movie for a few hours nor become engaged to them.

I do though have eccentricities, always have, and I enjoy such things. Sometimes the things ingrained in me are from God and God is very harsh on me as He knows me quite well.

You see that the fault of this starts with my Mom. Somewhere in time, she brought home one spoon which was venom ugly in my artistic eye, and then of course while eating spaghetti and twirling it, as I do like to twirl spaghetti when I eat it, I seized upon this ugly spoon with the pointy end that pierced into my palm, and I grew to apprecite this spoon with a devotion.

This spoon was soon in my oatmeal eating phase became my oatmeal eating stirring and eating spoon. I became so enamoured of this spoon that I became fixated on it, and in a worse situation after 10 years of youthful lusting, Mom came home with two baby spoons or teaspoons like the original.

I will only eat out of these spoons now. I eat ice cream or sherbet out of these spoons nightly and I also will only eat cereal out of them.
I realize the astute will inquire of soup, but I have soup spoons I will only eat soup with too, although they are not of this design, and I try to ignore they are not of this design as if I thought on this too much, I would become depressed, sullen and perhaps turn into a progressive liberal marxist.

I have searched for these spoons and find none. I have searched for knives and forks and found none. That in God's design is His being loving to me, as if this was easy, I would not have this gritty angry frustrated yearning which keeps me going in the hopes of my treasures are out there somewhere.

In the photos, you will see the pointed spoons and then these others that I have convinced myself are.......well tokens to appear in my same table. I will only eat breakfast things with these forks as I keep these things special, and as of this past week, God let me find another fork so I have now two, and a salad fork.........which is too small for me, but as it is not pointy that is fine as it is a fill in.

In deduction, I conclude that these silverware were some sort of gimmick, like a grocery store give away or some laundry detergent thing, as there are no real complete sets I have ever found, and it seems local.
When I sojourned in Kansas, I scoured the junk stores and not narry a one was found, but I did find some clover leaf things like my Mom had, and Mom informed me those were from Green Stamp coupons, and they are really good utensils, but they are not of this type I lust after.

These though are the utensils I would if very wealthy, make a production run of according to my own standards of course. I have tried to look for these types of silverware, but have always not come to the place of discovery, as even collectors I wrote to had no idea what this 3 star or sun burst pattern was.






On the back of them in the type I covet, there is a C I with STAINLESS JAPAN, of course if it really says C I. The teaspoons have some CO looking type thing and maybe part of an I below it, so I have no idea what the honorable Japanese were up to, if it was another company or production run.

My thinking is this could have come from a Red Owl or National T grocery type thing of independents, and or maybe some detergent give away per box. Odd part is the 4 knives I have all came together and are the only ones I have really seen.
I do not think they were from the old Super Value stores, as I asked an old Catholic if they knew of them and she said she did not, as the Catholics owned that store, I surmised she shopped there as we did. We not being Catholics, but I did remember the give aways at least in my time.

On taking photos of these things, I did notice something about them in people who owned all of these things used them roughly and often. This bothers me, as apparently there are others like me who came under the spell of these utensils and would only partake of food using them for years, as they are so perfect.








Well, the thing is, they are not perfect in the USA ones so much, but the Japanese design honestly is the most perfectly designed spoon every. Liquids do not drip from them as they are deep. Things do not fall out of them because of the rounded design, and they fit the mouth perfectly.
I have some Finn spoons and they are horrid round things. American spoons are usually more oblong, but this Japanese design is perfect, and while you can not see it, the arc of this spoon is perfect so it does not put strain on the wrist in fatiguing it.

This is the ultimate spoon, except for that pointy end gouging into my palm. I lust for knowledge in what a fork would handle like in this Japanese design, and then the knife.....and are there salad things, are there......well are there soup spoons to just about make me faint with delight as can you imagine a perfect soup spoon, that does not dribble and fits the body so as not to fatigue the wrist?

I know the orient has a great deal of spoon eating with meals as TL has educated me on the finer aspects of etiquette, as I become confused if there are more than  two plates and two forks on the setting.......I wonder if they are going to take me hostage or something in why are these so many utensils on a table.

I digress.........

But I have to believe that out there, there are forks like this and they are stuck in older people's drawers, apparently being used all the time, until of course they go tits up, and then of course I happen upon them......problem of course being that I rarely see them, so others are apparently recognizing the instant attraction of these things and I come up empty.

I realize that by making this public, that it will probably start another mad trend and I will never find what I seek and be like most things, looking in the window at the rich people's collections numbers in the thousands............
Is like why in the hell does a rich man need a hundred Savage 99's. Don't they know poor little children would just love to have one, and like Ford garden tractors, there sit a dozen in some duffer's garage doing nothing but making them feel validated.

Is that not what ugly Tiffany design stuff is for? All of that Antique's Road Show stuff that looks like vomit and worth a fortune that rich people love.....and normal people just wince and think, "What insane mind created that!!!!"


I never do understand that stupid show. Once I was watching this woman who had a pair of slippers with a letter from the owner who said she used them to dance with George Washington.
That was the coolest thing ever, and I wanted those slippers, as who would not want slippers that danced with President Washington, but the expert just growled something like, "That doesn't matter and is no proof. Use them for dust rags" or something like that.

That really hurt me, because non stop they have these idiots on there with Tiffany crap who say stuff like, "Oh Mr. Tiffany's horse broke down, and he came in and took a poo in my Mum's latrine, and in  exchange gave Mum this soup bowl". For that the experts wet themselves and put another 10 grand on something that looks like a 7th grader made it in art class.

So I hope that people leave my spoons alone, as it is not like I want all the spoons, but would just like a half dozen for the family......you know an eating set. If I was wealthy, I would order a production run and sell them as Lame Cherry exclusive.......nothing expensive, but just something for people to be wowed by, as I never thought a spoon could be so well designed, and here it came out of Japan.

That though is what interests me, and for God's reasons, this is one of the mazes He put me into, to always keep in the back of my mind searching, so I have some adventure to be on with TL.

I also have those retro metal cups of loud colors that I drink juice out of when I drink juice. My Auntie had one for water on her sink that I lusted after, and I have 3 cups ane 2 taller ones that are sort of beat up, but they delight me as they were things from memories.

Well enough about me and what is pleasing......and yes I only spread my butter with my knives too.....have them all separated out from the others in old pint canning jars on the table. Mom started that one and it keeps things the right way........as I have a heavy spoon for cooking in there too.
Gram Lydia had one too that she wore the edge flat on..........can not imagine stirring on a cook stove that much to wear a spoon out......and I wonder how much metals went into the pudding.

Perhaps someday I will have two forks in the star burst design. Then TL and I can eat rhubarb cake with them for an adventure. That would really delight me.

People always need things to look forward to. Rich people need BMW's and beach vacations, while God gives His children things to frustrate them to delight them in the adventure. Appreciating the things of life whether they are the odd things I like in things no one wants really in old pots or whatever is what life is, as you have the things which you delight in from a pen collection to books.

I never chose this stuff and for the effort I would have run from it if I had known, but it made me learn of the design of utensils and ponder things I never would have. It has been a grande adventure this stuff and I thank God for the misery of it, as it is enjoyable in placing such value on some spoons that probably were not worth the metal they were stamped out in originally.

Life is that way, and that is the story of spoon.



agtG