Tuesday, October 15, 2013

God's Tomatoes





In Puzzledment

Several years ago when I was dying, I needed tomatoe sauce as the reality was what was in frankenfood tomatoes and the preservatives in the can was killing me.

Of interest, like all things in my life, I had to plough the back 40 before I had the opportunity to even get to what I wanted. Not much of a deal when you are dying at the moment.

You have no idea what it took get food to your table in getting even tomatoes to produce in your locality. That is the work of the old breeders who did monumental work in wasting their lives and never being remembered.

I first tried to grow tomatoes from seed dealers. One from California cheated me and would not refund the costs, so that year was gone. I tried other varieties like San Marzano which was ok, but no yield and that is the problem with where I lived as the paste tomatoes would not produce.

In further disappointment I continued wasting money on tomatoes. I found a Doucet of Canada which did produce, but it was hell on trying to get seeds out. The San Marzano was nice in that, but too small.

I was led to an obscure tomatoe called Rio Roma out of Texas and that thing did grow, but it was small.........which brought me to the idea that maybe I could big it up some.
I did try to do this, but in reality, God is the One who came up with the cross above in I had received from Europe a few German Strawberry tomatoes, which of course did not grow here either, except for a few.
God crossed them for me, and I had by surprise a pretty huge tomatoe which was easy to seed.

This had me trying to grow them last year....but I was busy and the crop all died in the drought.

This year, satan tried murdering my baby tomatoes in the seed tray by offing them with too hot of fish fertilizer....something which never took place before. I was moved by the Holy Ghost to bury them deeper and that saved the crop.

What appeared in these plants was the above, and a few variations of Strawberry, something that looks a great deal like a San Marzano, which makes me believe that Texas tomatoe is sporting that Italian in it's roots beyond the Roma line...and these huge tomatoes pictured above which I have saved seed from.

These seeds are the only ones in existence, and if they behave next year in a crop, they will be a new variety like none other, as these things are highly unique in being big, paste, large production and the interesting thing is, they have loads of tomatoe flavor when fresh which a paste does not.

I am cooking them as I type this, and the sauce looks like sauce already after being run in a food processor. All I did was slice them in two, use a spoon to take the seeds out, which is where the "wet" is in this tomatoe, and then put them in food processor.
I have a great deal of sauce for just 9 plants I think it is, in the three gallon range.

I am very pleased and praise God for this as if I ever could get someone to buy the rights to this open pollinated variety, I would do quite well as a genetic plant breeder.

This has taken almost a decade to complete in a crap shoot, as you honestly never know what crap you are going to end up with. For flavor this is not the one I was breeding for, but it is a very nice tomatoe flavor in the raw.

The plants I did not water for over a month when they set on fruit in plus 90 degree weather which fried soybean plants in the field......that speaks a great deal about the hardiness of these plants, as when it was very cold here in the spring, they actually took off growing in that cold and some of them blossomed.......another feature which is sure to please.

I did notice too the food processor had this paste glued to it.........so it must be high in sugar content these fruit........I can scent them now cooking and the aroma is very pleasing. If God would bless this, I would have a financial winner.

agtG