Sunday, December 15, 2013

An Abraham Lincoln Sadness


The following is a letter written by Abraham Lincoln in which he writes about the depression he suffered from most of his adult life. It is a sad letter which reaches to the heart of normal people, because it reveals the heights which this American was able to rise to.

As was related here, Mr. Lincoln wrote of being so depressed over the Mary Todd engagement, in which he left her at the alter, and then again won her affections, who was a woman prone to anger issues which burdened him, along with other subsequent embarrassments as Mrs. Lincoln went on spending sprees to deal with her mental issues, which created immense debt for the President while in office, that he feared carrying a pocket knife in those days as he would kill himself.

The world was a much better place for Abraham Lincoln, but Mr. Lincoln in his assassination still haunts the White House in somber stance, and he should by God's Grace have rest as in the mortal life, he was haunted enough, and should have rest in the Lord from what he still is burdened by.


TO JOHN T. STUART--ON DEPRESSION

SPRINGFIELD, Jan 23, 1841

DEAR STUART: I am now the most miserable man living. If what I feel were
equally distributed to the whole human family, there would not be one
cheerful face on earth. Whether I shall ever be better, I cannot tell; I
awfully forbode I shall not. To remain as I am is impossible. I must die
or be better, as it appears to me.... I fear I shall be unable to attend
any business here, and a change of scene might help me. If I could be
myself, I would rather remain at home with Judge Logan. I can write no
more.

If people feel they were alone in depression, Mr. Lincoln suffered the same as numbers of great people have. It is nothing to be alone in. It is a company of Americans and each of us from tears of joy to tears of grief is of this company.

It is always one day forward and in the hope that some tomorrow will be better. I have like numbers of Citizens have walked in the shoes of Abraham Lincoln.


 "I do fondly hope, however, that you will never again need any comfort from abroad.
But should I be mistaken in this, should excessive pleasure still be accompanied with
a painful counterpart at times, still let me urge you, as I have ever
done, to remember, in the depth and even agony of despondency, that very
shortly you are to feel well again."

Abraham Lincoln to his friend, Joshua Speed
February 13, 1842



agtG