Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A Wide Front



As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.

I learned something today......always am learning things.

This is for the homesteaders. I grew up with International Harvester tractors. I can see why the majority of the old farmers had them now as I have this WD 45 I have been allowed to use and in puttering around here, digging, disking, moving decomposed goat shit......aka that is compost in fancy gardening magazines, and pulling some concrete slabs, I have concluded this.

My dad's Super H Farmall seemed to have more horsepower with misfiring than this WD Allis has. That H was probably 30 horsepower and that is way under the 45 horsepower of the Allis.
Puzzles me in this old tractor review.

I like H tractors and hope to get one, even if they did not have live hydraulic power and things, but when I was stuck mowing prairie hay, that H ran on 10 gallons of gasoline for like 12 hours.

I sort of see why my neighbor who was an Allis  man, lusted after a diesel WD in being a cheap running tractor, as the one here sucks gas like an Abrams Tank.

In looking over this, the implement dealers are destroying all those old  tractors to make people buy 35,000 dollar tractors, and collectors have pissed up the market. I think though that an old M Farmall with a 12 volt changeover with a 1000 dollar 2 point hitch added, is still more of a tractor than these Allis Chalmers things or those Ford 9 N's.

I probably should not write about this stuff as it will drive up prices, but there are people who read this blog and are thining of Jersey cows and things, and this stuff is important.

I watch my neighbors, like one has a new Kubota tractor, you know the Japanese orange things. I thought he might regret that cheaper tractor and sure enough the loader lift seemed slow last winter, and I noticed his one cylinder on the left arm was leaking oil. That is a brand new tractor, but it just is not up to hard work.

My Uncle before he died, had a Belarus, front wheel assist, and that thing on that old basic Russian model was a good tractor that held up. Nothing is worse than spending money on a tractor and finding out it is a bust.

This WD is a good garden tractor. I have to pull things in 1st gear........that smaller H would pull in 2nd the same 12 foot disk. It is just not something you can abuse. My parents always said the old Ford 9 N's would nickle and dime you to death. The modern Ford's though were sound tractors.

I believe that lawn tractors are a waste of money in riding lawnmowers. They wear out and do nothing but mow grass. A larger utility or garden tractor can mow grass more effectively and do all the things you need to save your back.
Today that WD was pulling turned tractor tires I was using as raised beds under the idea that raised beds were great things. If you live where it is dry though, raised beds only suck water and are worthless. So my 35 dollar tires are going to be turned into a new project I am working on as a cold frame.
Yes this is a Lame Cherry invention, but what could be better than rubber tires for insulation, a cover of some kind of fiberglass roofing hinged in the middle, and a solar light inside to help with the heating on cold nights for spinach, kale, collards, chard and lettuce for late autumn produce?
I might try them for some melons as the extra heat will make them greenhouse grow, but there is not a great deal of room in these 6 foot rims.

This is about tractors though and if I had the money, I would get an affordable used International, Ford or I suppose John Deere. I fell in love with those 1980's Ford garden tractors and have always lusted after one as they were pretty.
I would try a Belarus too, but keep away from all tractors with computers and fuel economy or anything else that will take a 100 dollar an hour technician to fix them. That is the price of the local John Deere dealer is charging farmers.

I know that people will need something to heavy till the soil. They need hydraulics to lift things, a 3 point, a loader, a pto to run power equipment, a cab would be nice........but just the same, for the other things, I think a team of trained steers would do a great job on a great many things.

There used to be so much good farm equipment, but those greedy asshole implement dealers, like real estate agents, destroyed much of the American dream and sent it to China to melt it all down.

Maybe some day I will be able to have the opportunity to sell this tractor for a cut to some collector as it is a good tractor for people who like to collect things at around 5000 dollars and then turn that money back into something I know would fill the bill.

People worked themselves to death once before gas tractors. Now you are worked to poverty paying for the gas to not work yourself to death. Not much of a choice really in either you can die of a heart attack from a worn out heart or die from poverty in nursing a tractor.

I will get some pics of Belle up here, but have just been swamped. Was up before 7 today and am still working past 9 tonight. The plan is now that Belle is almost healed from ringworm to get them out for photos, more training and some grass pen to frolic in. It would help if my 10 year old tomatoe seeds would sprout better, but a few are up and I am  thankful for that.
Need to work on melons and cukes this coming week, with corn in cups. Saw a bumblebee yesterday as something ate my transplanted cabbage off. Ground still feels cold, although the sun is very hot, even with a cool breeze.

The atmosphere is dry. It can not rain in great parts of America. That is the drought I am praying for in God's Promise. Elijah did ok with it and as rich people hording cash does nothing for me or God's children, they might as certain join the impoverished too.

Anyway, plant in hope, trust in God and it all works out.

Jersey's seem a very good choice. I am sold on these miniature cattle. Can always milk herefords and highlanders too. That Belle's udder looks like a goat would out milk her.
It is just the information which will matter and not college degrees in the time ahead.


PS: Go for the wide front on the old tractors.


agtG