Amazingly with Wifi and my bleeding tonight, I can not get log into write this blog, so I am doing it the stealth way.
The subject is simple...it is how to set up IMAP and POP3 accounts in your Thunderbird or Outlook accounts in the old versions. This is important as I wasted 2 hours last night on the old Kansas tower and the Minnesota finally succumbed to 2 hours of manipulation too in working.
These are the directions which worked on the dinosaur models and I post them here to help people out.
|Incoming server (IMAP)||imap.aol.com|
|Port||Leave it to be set automatically: 143 (993 for SSL)|
|Security Settings/connection||Select either Never or SSL (AOL supports SSL, so you should probably use it)|
|Security Settings/Use secure authentication||Do not check.|
|Username||Your screen name|
|Outgoing Server (SMTP)||smtp.aol.com|
|Username||Your screen name|
|Security/connection||AOL supports SSL, so you should probably use it; use port 465 in this case.|
|Port||587 ( 465 for SSL)|
|Description Name||Whatever you wish|
Step 1: Add the AOL e-mail accountTo add an AOL e-mail account in Outlook Express, follow these steps:
- Sign on to AOL.
- Start Outlook Express. If Outlook Express is not your default e-mail client, you may be prompted to specify if you want to use Outlook Express as your default e-mail client. To select Outlook Express as your default e-mail client, click OK.
- If you are prompted to type your name in the Display name box, click Cancel, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
- In Outlook Express, click Accounts on the Tools menu.
- Click Add, and then click Mail.
- In the Display name box, type your name as you want it to appear on your outgoing e-mail messages, and then click Next.
- In the E-mail address box, type your AOL e-mail alias. For example, type email@example.com.
- Click Next.
- In the My incoming mail server is a list, click IMAP.
- In the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP) server box, type imap.aol.com.
- In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server box, type smtp.aol.com, and then click Next.
- In the Account name box, type your AOL account name.
- In the Password box, type your AOL account password.
- If you want Outlook Express to save your password, leave the Remember password check box selected.
- Click Next, and then click Finish.
Step 2: Configure the AOL e-mail accountAfter you add the AOL e-mail account, you must configure this account in Outlook Express. To do this, follow these steps:
- When you return to the Internet Accounts dialog box after you complete the steps from the "Step 1: Add the AOL e-mail account" section, click the Mail tab.
Note If the Internet Accounts dialog box is not open, click Accounts on the Tools menu.
- On the Mail tab, click the AOL account that you added, and then click Properties.
- Click the Servers tab, and then click to select the My server requires authentication check box.
- Click Apply, and then click the Advanced tab.
- In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) box, type 587.
Note By default, the SMTP port number is 25.
- Click Apply, and then click the IMAP tab.
- Click to clear the Store special folders on IMAP server check box, click Apply, and then click OK.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
- Click Close. If you receive the following message, click Yes:
That is about it and this is a bitch at times as one thing wrong and it does not work. Oh and please do not write me on AOL, as I do not have an account there...and if someone is there, it is not me.