Saturday, February 11, 2017

Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4080/4747490432_fcd48f8c19_z.jpg


As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.

I have many songs which I enjoy, but Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime" is one of my haunting favorites, like A Taste of Honey by Sukyaki. Songs like this are so unique. Being an artist I know that God given blessing when something just writes itself and is born. That is what James Warren experienced a Sunday morning in a London flat.


“It was a Sunday morning and I had a piano in the flat that I lived in at the time. Every day I would try and come up with an idea for a song. I couldn’t really play the piano, I can find a note and there were certain chord shapes that I grew to like – I knew what they were from my guitar playing. So with that song, I started with a C#m7 shape and immediately started singing ‘Change your heart…’ and thought that sounded good.
“I was definitely after interesting, complex, jazzy piano chords like minor 9ths and suspended 11ths. I knew what they were, but I wasn’t a pianist by any shape or form. It was all written on the piano and the melodies came out at the same time as the chords – I literally sang the first thing that came into my head. I think even the words came out at the same time as well.
“It only took 10 or 15 minutes. It was one of those magical moments where the song sort of writes itself. I suppose you have to bear in mind that awful lot of background work made that song come out.


The Korgis - Everybody's got to learn sometime - YouTube

Korgis - Everybody's gotta learn sometime ... The Korgis - Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime Lyrics - Duration: 4:07. kayhang 303,278 views. 4:07



“David Lord was hugely important in the production of it. The original demo was just me on piano, Andy Davis on drums, I think I overdubbed a bass guitar, someone else did a bit of rhythm guitar and that was it. I thought that was how the song would be. We sent it to our managers, Nick and Tim Heath at Rialto Records and they asked David to hammer it into shape. I thought it was a good song for the album, but I didn’t think it was going to have anything wonderful about it. But David added the big arrangement and strings, and it worked. So it was a combination of him thinking it was special, and also hearing from the record company in London that he should work on the song.

If you are interested in Sukyaki, this is the 1981 rendition which filled American rock n roll stations with a pop hit that was so unique it simply played and played.


A Taste of Honey - Sukiyaki - YouTube

August 12, 1985) Translated from Japanese (not literally) by A Taste of Honey. The song was ... A Taste of Honey - Sukiyaki YouTube; A taste of honey ...



agtG