Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Peach Cobbler Adventures




As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.


TL and I baked a Peach Cobbler yesterday and had it for desert tonight and I thought it was good enough to share here in this recipe.

There are caveats though as in all things Lame Cherry cooked in the peaches I had were from California, and I swear you could use them as grapeshot to kill horses in war. To illustrate this, it said like 30 seconds boiling them to get the skins off..........try like I did for 5 minutes. I literally cooked them about half way through, and still had to use a potato peeler to get those hides off.

Thing is though in using peaches that are weapons' grade, when I cut them into fours, I actually popped them off the pit which was nice and a nice surprise.

Try that with good peaches and you would end up with a pot of peach mush soup.

I was sort of hoping for a crumble topping, but ours had to bake like 40 minutes......talk about peach lagoon, floating Gilligan's cobber island. Thing is all that liquid must have re absorbed, and after refrigeration it sort of shrunk even.

The peaches were still not soft, but the flavor was really spectacular in tart sweet, and in that TL's cobbler crust on top was perfect in being fresh and light. We served ours cold as I hate hot things. No hot pudding, no hot pie, no hot cobbler and no hot ice cream.

What I really enjoyed is I got a Pyrex 8 by 8 glass pan out of the junk bin and got to play with it. It is Grand Canyon deep, so this all fits in there...........I used 6 peaches which is a must and this thing needs like 24 hours to set up, as I think it would be soup out of the oven.....and I do not eat hot peach soup. Never tried it, but all the same no one wastes peaches on peach soup, so I doubt anyone ever said, "Ma fetch me up some peach soup as I done want none of that tasty cobbler".

Oh I did not follow the recipe in cooking the peaches, and then adding the cobbler later. TL told me this tonight as why bother reading the directions.......any way I don't want blobby cobbler either as this stuff would be blob balls and hot peach syrup on me, burning peach brands into my skin, would sort of take the enjoyment out of eating it later.

The whipped cream was fabulous too.

Oh I saved the peach seeds too. Great plans I have, big donation, shed with south facing front, I add a fiberglass panels and voila got me a Peacharium making zone 5 peaches into zone 3. Be eating peaches all the time, peach pie, peach brandy, peach wine, peach cobbler, peach cake, peaches and cream, hot peach soup...........

Chilled Peach Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

A refreshing creamy chilled peach soup with white wine, mint, and peach schnapps, with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. So delicious you'll have them scraping their bowls!


Can you believe that shit? I'm doing satire and some people are committing abominable sins against peaches in making soup out of them. I mean that is like having a steak and making hamburger out of it.  Geez louise, there really needs to be some Homeland department for crimes against peaches. Like warrants issued, wanted dead or dead for violating peaches in souping them.
They defile peaches by putting onion and garlic.......and it looks like sick baby poo.......you know the kind of poo that looks like the kid has no blood in them from radiation poisoning and all they had to eat were beige paint chips and plaster..........yeah that is what peach soup looks like.

Some people do not belong with cooking pans as they are dangerous weapons, like weapons of mass palate destruction.........

Ok enough filler, time for the recipe which I did not follow, but it turned out good any way. Sort of the way life is, you end up at the end reading the directions or not.

Oh and if a recipe has wine and schnapps in it, it is a bar drink not soup. Just saying.



Ingredients
Cobbler Filling
  • 4 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches (blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds to remove the skins or peel with a vegetable peeler)
  • ¾ cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon flour
Cobbler crust:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • ⅔ cup buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoon brown sugar, for topping
  • Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Generously butter a 1½-quart shallow baking dish. Place the sliced peaches in the dish and sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and flour. Mix gently and spread evenly again. Bake for 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile combine all dry ingredients for cobbler crust in a bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or your fingers, to make the texture like coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and stir to form a soft dough.
  4. Remove fruit from oven and drop rounded spoonfuls of dough on top. Sprinkle with last tablespoon of brown sugar and return to oven. Bake until fruit is bubbly and crust topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Notes
I doubled this recipe and used a 9x13 baking dish.

I have discovered that I like the first piece of cobbler and then dread the next piece and loathe  the last piece. Cobbler should be one serving, but they are not worth the work for making one and not worth the making of them for 9 servings.


agtG