Saturday, January 6, 2018

The Assisted Opening Knife




Time to start hunting bigger Hogs


As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.

I was able to test a few Assisted Opening Knives, as like all children I have always been fascinated with switchblade knives.

The industry found away around illegal switchblades which is another ridiculous regime intrusion like "assault weapons" in firearms, as a switchblade is no more deadly than a steak knife.

The two versions of Assisted Opening Knives I tested were Remington and Schrade. I have a soft spot for Schrade as that is what my Trapper knives are in they have good steel, stay sharp and are easy to sharpen, along with being cheap.

I want to give away the punchline in this by stating, I think that if Remingon and Schrade combined their knives that they would have a good one. Seperate though they both are lacking. 




The Schrade was all metal, brushed metal handle. It was supposed to be assisted opening, but it was not. It is supposed to lock, but it did not lock. So much for Chinese manufacturing to take over the world. The point being the Chinamen can not make a knife or a dress worth a damn, so do not be too worried about sophisticated warfare as their chit will fall apart like their cheap ass DVD players as there is not any quality control in China.

The Schrade has a nice back handle assist to start the knife opening that I liked. It helps get the knife open for the thumb assist. But it is not spring assisted opening. This is an inferior product.

The blade was sharp and that was the best part. It is a danger though as it does not lock. As I stated, China has no quality control.







The Remington knives in which I had two to test, were at least assisted opening in once you started them they flew open. The problem is orange camo pictured worked quite well after a few times, but a regular camo knife in this, model is so stiff it will take a great deal of wear before it ever opens by the thumb.

I liked the Remington handle. It is plastic, but it has the feel of leather in being soft.

The drawback is the blade is not that sharp from the start and I fear it is not the kind of steel to last a generation.

The Remington has a belt clip on it where the knife if it sprung open on being caught, would slip it straight up. Not a good feature if it happens when you fall and you end up gutting yourself or worse.
In that the Schrade's blade opens down in the clip fastening, which is better of safety sake.

The design is good, but the size is not good, in it is too large for a woman's hand and too small for a man's hand.

These knives were closeouts, and I now realize why they were not selling as they simply did not have the proper design and were inferior quality control.

They will make adequate emergency pack knives, but in the Remingtons are too large to carry.

I always wanted an assisted opening knife, but these are not it. In fact, out of Ace Hardware last year I got a little lockback without any country of origin stamp for 2.99, which I carry to cut strings on frozen bales. That worthless little knife is a hundred times better than these major name brand models.

That is probably my last foray into assisted opening knives as they do not impress, any more than Buck knives do, which have too had of steel and are too big in your hand.



Nuff Said



agtG