Thursday, October 22, 2020

Brier Patch Treasure

 


 

 As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.


This trying to keep warm project is bigger than I expected and concluded there are cost overruns. The thing is though in visiting our second home, the junk yard, the Junk Yard Guy is an amazing welfare state for us, as today he was tearing apart a stove for us, as we needed a door......just because I asked him before.

I really appreciate the JYG as we stand around and shoot the bull. Today he was telling me about Thanksgiving dinner at a friends house, where the cat had gotten bit by another cat, had a big puss bag on it's neck, and it popped loudly in the kitchen as they were eating dinner..........stank, and it was not much for the meal ambiance. We get along great with the Junk Yard Guy.

So I needed a tamper for the rammed earth stove outside we're building.............cheapest was 28 bucks on Amazon.
JYG, cut off a pipe for me, was going to weld on the pipe of a perfectly thick 4 by 4 piece of heavy steel, but said I could do that, and I was delighted.

I found 20 cents on the ground........gave it to him. He was pleased, had another story, and he knows of certain I just do not pick up things from him as it is his junk.

So I spied a chimney cap.........put that into our pile. Got a 10 dollar steel barrel.

I felt bad in he tore apart the oven door with glass for me, so I bought that too as he was being helpful.

In the end, he said the barrel was 10 bucks and for me to make an offer......but not too high.

I looked at the 65 to 130 dollar chimney cap and said, 30 bucks.

He said, "20" and it was a deal.

I walked out of there with 130 dollars of high heat glass. Figure 65 for the chimney cap, 28 for the tamper, and a barrel for 10.........yeah they sell for more if you try to buy them.

JYG works all the time. He is covered with dirt and oil. He looks like something out of a movie. He is though brilliant. He can fix anything and does. Takes scrap prices and for a hundred bucks turns it into a 15,000 dollar catepillar.
He was telling us someone gave him a pick up. He said he tried to buy it, but the guy said to take it as it was not working. JYG looked at it, but in a 47 cent thing he was explaining, and is still driving it.
He said if he would have sold the pick up, which he could have, he would not have a story to tell.

I've spent more money than I figured on this keeping warm project, but JYG has saved me a fortune. Stove pipe he sells me for 5 dollars a pipe. That stuff is from 30 to 150 dollars per pipe.

I would that I was rich, as he has junked away old pick ups and things which I would love to send off to a restoration place and have them made new. He has acres of junk and I'm starting to get worried in I actually am able to remember where things are and navigate through his tunnels in finding our way. It means I spend too much time prowling around there, but today I waded through things like a Norwegian climbing a mountains and I found a sulky plough..........I find all kinds of things in there that I dream of projects.

The great part is, he sees us, keeps on working and we go wandering around in his junk. Sure he put up a sign in he is not  responsible, but he could care less about us wandering around in his piles of stuff, as he trusts us and we see the things he sees in the mountains of treasure.

I would that the world had more junk yards. I would not get much else done, but prowl around in them. Today I heard a cat.......thought it was a Blue Jay making cat noises, but it was his cat, in a truck. Talked to the kitty. He came out and rubbed around on TL who talked to the kitty and we got along just fine.
I guess a friend of JYG's was teasing that cat, and the cat bit him. His hand swelled up twice it's size, needed 100 dollars of antibiotics and he wanted JYG to pay for it........JYG said "That cat warned you to stop picking on it, so you pay the bill".

I'm looking forward to the non mosquito period, dry weather all winter and then we can play in the yard for months in discovering more treasures galore.

JYG is an encyclopedia of junk. His mind is a computer. Acres of the stuff and I can ask him something and he will say, "Go over by the mounted deer head and that is where teh barrels are".

Tomorrow I begin welding and cutting on our treasures

I just remembered.......have to look up spark arrestors.

So much to do when you are favored by JYG.

Nuff Said.


agtG