Saturday, February 20, 2021

Junk Yard Man






As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.

I will have to admit that I am in love with another man. There is not much worry in this as TL is in love with the same man. He is our brier patch junkyard man.

Last year I told TL that I wanted to get some doors to build some cold frames as spinach in December sounded nice, but with taking care of that horrid uncle who simply would not leave and kept screwing everyone over, it was winter before we even could catch our breath.

Today though, after much driving by and coof delays, TL said we should stop at junk yard man's abode, so we stopped.

Junk yard man looks right out of a Hollywood Movie, sort of Burt Reyolds father in Gator or for that matter he looks Cajun mountain man. It just adds to his charm, along with junk piled up to the street and two stories of junk for a couple of city blocks.

So the first thing you see is the dog, a Cocker Bulldog cross. Cute dog as it is 99% cocker and you can only tell the bulldog by the jutting out bottom lip. Fat as most dogs are and dog is usually riding around on junk yard man's neck.

So I ask him if he has some patio doors as I want to build a cold frame - greenhouse thing, and he thinks, and says, "Yeah I got some", so I follow him back and he starts telling me about he wants to use some, as he built a very clever sun room onto his house, using patio doors as the top, but some started to leak so he has to replace an caulk.

So he hauls out two doors, which weigh like the Titanic with the iceberg. Double glass things which could stop a tank. So he starts working on the second one with me, and I am bleeding already, and I ask, "How much you want for them", as I do not want to go through all of this and be told a hundred bucks a piece.
Without a beat, he asks hopeful, "How does 10 dollars a piece sound" and I say that sounds like a deal.

Then it gets interesting as the two on top of his house, he wants down as they are too big, but just what I need, so phase two begins of he crawls up on a ladder, and starts pulling nails and beating on things, and we are loading the first two and I get back and he needs help getting the first one down the ladder, which we help, and then down comes the second.
As things are going good in this deal, he has me help get the other door on the roof, and we are ready to load.

I asked about some other things and he says, go back and look, so we do. I told him if I found anything I would stop back. Lord God did TL find things. This was better than the thrift store. We found barrels, lawnmowers, rototillers, junked cars, fishing reels, air compressors, fire extinguishers, plows, things I forgot existed and that was in the first canyon of junk. He has like 4 more.

We definitely are going back to our true love as I am going to ask about help in finding some things and find out what he wants for others things and then find out about the junk rototillers.
It was typical brier patch in this place is a lawsuit wating to happen, but he just told us to go find things and did not worry one bit about any kind of legal shit, as it is the brier patch.

I have to keep on budget of course as we are saving, but basically getting 1500 dollars worth of doors for 40 was kind of a good budget deal.  We will have the most luxurious cold frames around, including doors with French handles. TL and I discussed taking the fancy stuff off, but I had no idea that doors could be this heavy.

He also has lumber back there, so am thinking about applying some of that to the cold frames as the pick up was loaded by the time we got the doors in.

I think we are going to take a camera and take some pictures next time as that place is the greatest place on earth. You can't go to Home Depot and end up tearing doors off the roof and helping rebuild the house, just to get a few doors. This is my kind of shopping place as it is a place of adventures.


Nuff Said


agtG