Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Medicine of 86





I was looking through the firearms list of a collection in Pennsylvania, and while many were of particular interest, one was of most interest to me, as the firearm was an 1876 Winchester.

Theodore Roosevelt quote of these firearms and I had thought they were 1886 Winchesters, which I am not going to research as my examination has less to do with the year than in the quality.



"10. WINCHESTER RIFLE, MODEL OF 1876. L. 48-1/2" Cal., .45-75. Weight, loaded, 11-3/4 lbs. Twelve shots. Octagon barrel. Stock and forearm crudely checkered by some former owner. For some inscrutable reason, the manufacture of this excellent weapon was discontinued long ago, but for the sort of hunting to be found in this State, it is much superior to the later small-bore, high-velocity arms now sold. Roosevelt carried a rifle of this model and calibre on his first African expedition and used it on lions with good effect."

Henry W. Shoemaker. A Catalogue of Early Pennsylvania and Other Firearms and Edged Weapons at "Restless Oaks"


Theodore Roosevelt had two Winchesters which I have photo of one at the Elk Horn Ranch in Dakota Territory. He began with the 45-75 and graduated to the 45-90, which was 45 caliber with 90 grains of blackpowder.
I found it interesting that this was the Medicine Gun which he took to Africa in African Game Trails and tried out on lions, as the President had other firearms along, including English guns.

He greatly liked the 45-90 in it's use and it was effective for all his hunting.

It is of course the one Winchester I would if I had the money re manufacture, along with cheap ammuntion to provide a new generation of Citizens with an experience as this.

I do find it interesting that the weapon's historian actually has disatisfaction for the smokeless rifles which he states were inferior, in that would include the 30 30 Winchester and various Savage rifles in 99's which were considered the staples of hunting in the woods of the east.

In recollection, I do believe I saw one of these 1886 Winchesters long ago in a gun shop. The owner was relating a story which he took it black bear hunting. It had the strangest betina in being yellowish so I suppose was browned and not blued and the metal had the appearance of old varnish.
It was high on he wall, had a like octogan barrel and a bore on it which seemed immense.

I should purchased that lead thrower instead of the one I did, as it was a Winchester Model 70 and it had a much too sharp rap from the kick in 30.06 so I traded it away.

So many things I would do in adventures if I only had the millions to make a difference in making dreams come true.

I actually designed a massive elephant gun in lever action for modern smokeless powder, but no one wanted to buy it........actually redesigned it after the ass looking at it said it had too many parts. I have done so much in this life in so many fields and never been compensated.


agtG