Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Yams




My children, I have an interesting tale.

I have always been adventurous in putting things into my mouth for food. I recall the fearful looks of my Aunt's nephew from her side of the family in me putting blue looking berries into my mouth and pronouncing them good to eat.
I had no idea what the bush was, but my Aunt was equally aghast at the prospect of having me dead while in her care as the kid was eating the bushes.

Gram used to just get all concerned when Grampa would take the children out and eat what was peas on some kind of Russian pea tree. No one died there either.

I saw some bright red berries one day, and knowing they were honeysuckle I thought I would give them a go, but that idea had me spitting for some time. I have had a number of there trials in things in my mouth ending up tasting for a very long time and making me wonder of the experiment which seemed fun.

I like historical tales of adventure and Sir Sam was out in the jungles and hungry, and decided to rustle up some dinner with his mates. He found some wild yams, and we all know yams are good to eat, so into the pot they went.
In cooking, they went from pretty to grey and one of the more adventureous tied into the biggest one as the rest of the mates chewed at the yams.

Soon enough the one jumped up and started yelling about being poisoned as his throat was constricting and felt like pins were being struck into it. The rest had the same choking.
The remedy they had was in consuming a quantity of brandy which in ten minutes ended the problems or they were so drunk they could not figure out they were choking and just relaxed.

They survived though and Sir Sam then recalled he never saw the wild pigs eating those yams either. Being poisonous was the answer.

The guide books always say nibble on things and then wait ten minutes if you are in the wilds to see if things start burning or you are feeling like you are dying. I wonder when things go hard for the flocks of two legged sheep in this world, how many are going to go tits up after eating each other. I wonder what preparation Chinese Walmart and fast food has made for humans to eat all sorts of other poisons.

I fortunately have invested a bit of time in finding what is good eats in the wilds and that which is not. It is amazing though how bad things taste better when you are hungry.

I started out pretty good with my first try at eating things unknown. Probably has made the adventure a bit to audacious in the things I still try. Odd how the last time I did that, it was something I can not now remember, but Lord God, I could taste that whatever it was hours later.
Just pleased I did not swallow it. I remember I gave some to Mom and she spit it out. I gave mine a good chew and that is were the trouble began.

Oh well this story has no point as it is pointless in trying to explain making oneself a guinea pig and not having other primates try things first, but not all of us can put their footie prints on the moon first.


agtG