Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pimpernel




As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.


I wonder sometimes in the joke of things in the European aristocracy from things like the Scarlet Pimpernel to Birther Hussein Obama. For those in on the joke.........well I will just put the definition here, and let you ponder what Baroness Orczy was up to.


"European garden herb with purple-tinged flowers and leaves that are sometimes used for salads."

That would be the pimpernel, and she of course wrote a series of books about the Scarlet Pimpernel, and about it being elusive.

I mean at least Schultz's Great Pumpkin in Charlie Brown was a pumpkin and not a person named the Great Pumpkin. Who would write a book in having the main character called the Beige Pumpkin, the Loden Cucumber, the Amber Honeydew or the Red Lettuce.

Why would anyone name their character after a salad green. It is perplexing in should Sir Arthur Conan Doyle named Sherlock Holmes, "Cornellius Cornsalad" and should Dr. Watson, instead been Chef Wilson?
I just do not know if an entire genre of detectives would have arisen with a Cornellius Cornsalad and his trusty chef, Birdy Wilson.

It is all like Monty Python and those damned lupins, or "the larch", and that was a joke.

I do look back on this stuff and think, should the Man Behind the Iron Mask, been cole slaw? Should the twist in Oliver Twist been that he was a salad maker and not a little boy? Should Treasure Island instead of been the Sweet Herb Garden?

Orczy wrote alot of fiction like Castles in the Air, so she had a figurative lilt to her in being creative, but I just could not see any publisher  or public getting behind a character named The Auburn Dandelion.

Would you have gone to see Schwartzenegger in The Terminator if it was called The Tossed Salad? What about Bruce Willis in Die Hard if it was called Cucumber Sandwich?
It seems pretty clear that there is no appeal in that, so is it that people were just ignorant of what a pimpernel is or were they hungry for some fresh greens?
I mean did the Baroness time the book to be published in February after a bitter winter, and all the peasants said, "Oh wow I would love to have me a salad, but as nothing is growing, I think I will get me some Scarlet Pimpernel in a book and that will be just like eating some greens."

In that, how many Europeans actually ate the book, in being ravenous for pimpernel? I can see now that in America, there would have to be a Surgeon General's Warning of, "This is not a food product for human consumption."

That is what I am getting at, in with all the salad and law suits, no one would name a hero after a salad as it is one thing to have a scarlet cape flying around, and it is another thing to have a tossed salad in mind, staking your future on.

I do not get this really, and I wonder if I should have named the Lame Cherry after...........well Caesar Salad. What if it was The Cherry Salad? I could see a nice mix of cherries and cherry tomatoes, in a sweet acidic balance. Fruit goes good with cheese, so how about some sharp cheddar, and bits of ham, with I don't know maybe some rotini pasta as that is always fun, and then top it with like a thin ranch dressing.
That sounds pretty good and is probably the  Cherry Salad minus egg, anchovie and that stalk lettuce. Would that salad in mind have had the rich people donating 350,000 dollars in mass?
Would the wealthy have come like a herd to a "take my picture for the paper as I am generous" event, and be smiling and all flushed with their philantrophy?

Maybe that is where I should have gone. Maybe Batman is not about bats at all, but about Batter for dipping onions in eh? Maybe Wonder Woman was wondering what to stir up in the pan that her man brought home? Maybe Iron Man's secret was cast iron and he was cooking? Maybe the marvel of Marvel Comics is all the Super Heroes were just food products tempting the public like sugar cereals in the morning cartoons.

But you know a cherry is ........well something to eat or pop, so there is probably allure there. I know that rich people like preying on invalids, and what can be more cripple than a lame cherry......I hear the coma wards get a prego woman every once in awhile as there is allure to women on life support in they just do not say no.
So I think the name is ok, unless it just does not go far enough eh? Maybe it is this salad thing......maybe like Scarlet Pimpernel, I should have been Lambsquarter Cherry, and combine both the vegetable and fruit section. Of course I was not named Lambsquarter, but then one does what one has to, to make money legally.
John Wayne was Merriwether Morrison from Iowa, and nobody would have gone to see True Grit with a name like that.

I just keep thinking about these things which do not matter, but do not make any sense. Sure they sing America songs about purple mountains and amber grain, but you got a song to go with that and America was not named Golden Amaranth, although the Land of Milk and Honey was a good sales pitch from God to get the Israelites into the wilderness.

Maybe it just was the ignorance of everyone in what pimpernel was, although they heard it around the gate post. Sort of like this Obama image in you heard all blacks were the same, so you figured you wanted to return to slavery and have one of your own serving you at 1600 Penn Avenue and those clever Obama voters, hid it all as exorcising racism or wanting some dirty snatch sex, and all they wanted was a Nig of their very own.

I think this is about enough thinking on this subject as I am not feeling so well as I over did, and I got weeks ahead of things, so have to stay strong in Christ.

I wonder if Jesus was marketed as a salad product if He would have more appeal, as the bread and wine thing did not stop folks from rejecting Him and going light salad with Obama.




agtG