Wednesday, December 10, 2014

catsup




As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.

I discovered in a gardening book this catsup recipe of 1850 AD in the year of our Lord. Amusing part of this is, that around 1820 tomatoes were considered a poison and people fled from them.
At the later date, their promotion was in vogue and this brings about this recipe.


 To make catsup, use one pint of salt to one peck of Tomatoes.

Bruise, and let them stand two days; then strain them dry, and boil the juice, until the scum ceases to rise, with two ounces of black pepper, the same quantity of pimento or allspice, one ounce of ginger, one of cloves, and half an ounce of mace.

Bridgeman, Thomas d. 1850. The american kitchen-gardener


I had never considered roughing them up, and then taking out the juice. I would think the seeds should be removed too. The skins could be processed in a food processor, which will hide then if one is lazy as I tend to be in not liking to scald them to make the hides slip.

I doubt this is a Hunts or Heinz recipe.....but it would be interesting to try, especially since a quart of tomatoe sauce is already available in the Hunts cans for experimentation.

I do like Heinz better even if I detest liberals now running that assassinated family's fortune for the cartel.

The Hunts recipe I have includes corn syrup of course, vinegar, salt, onion and garlic powders. Of course there are recipes for such, but this was about the original recipe of catsup which was more Spice Islands than the sweet ketchup of this era.

If I had internet, I would be looking up a Heinz Ketchup recipe.


nuff said


agtG