Wednesday, November 24, 2021

LeRoy Boy Is That You

 




As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.


I was listening to Todd Rundgren on tour telling the story of We Gotta Get You a Woman, and it was reflective of him in his good nature and honesty. I respect his good qualities and his talents by God in being an exceptional producer. He reminds me in his early work of Carol King in her driving beats matched with a piano with fitting vocals.


As I was listening to Rundgren's only two songs I really like by him in We Gotta Get You a Woman and In Your Eyes, which feature I believe is his best production is that perfect poetic lyrical lilt in piano with the accent of some bad ass blues guitar, I could hear something in his 1972 release which I knew I had heard before.

As Mr. Rundgren mused about We Gotta Get You a Woman, he said at a year out of high school, doing cover songs, was not getting his band anywhere and they needed to have a song they wrote, so he wrote his first song, which was sensational.
He thought about the Vietnam War, about women's issues, and then he thought, "You know my girlfriend dumped me in high school last year", so that is what drives everything, so that is where the lyrics came from. For as he stated, "I stole the song as everyone steals the songs".

Honestly you can not believe the riffs which are appropriated over and over again. When I hear that downbeat in Rundgren's song, I hear the same thing in the 1974 release by Ozark Mountain Daredevils in Jackie Blue. OMD may add a note sometimes, but this sounds like Rundgren's original and where he appropriated his stuff from, he never did say.

I simply love dissecting songs, and have asked others in how and when they decided upon that inclusion of some instrument in some obscure part of a song which really makes that song a hit and no one really notices it. In We Gotta Get You a Woman, my favorite part of the song lasts about 3 seconds, when Rundgren accents with a twangy blues guitar, and he does not repeat it. The song would just be another song without that. In that, I have no idea why Todd Rundgren got away from that in the time later as he as released a great deal of music which is nothing like his other work. In that, most of Rundgren's work is so different, you would never know it was him.

Rundgren's stuff is not that complicated, but it is good. While Ozark Mountain Daredevil's Jackie Blue is more complex, it is like Steve Miller complex in more sound effects than in instrumental progression.


I do miss sometimes not having the time or the dark miseries of sitting up all night, looping on Winamp songs over and over, writing poetry, gaming, surfing and touching creative levels which this existence now is the antithesis of. I'm careful in never going back to the past as that is not where  I care to bleed again as it would be a hemorrhage of me I would not recover from.



"I Saw the Light" is the opening track from Todd Rundgren's 1972 Something/Anything? double album. In the liner notes to Something/Anything?



TODD RUNDGREN "We Gotta Get You A Woman" 1970 HQ ... Runt is the self-titled debut of the band Runt, first released in 1970 on the Ampex Records ...



The hit from the 197o's, Jackie Blue by The Ozark Mountain Daredevils.


agtG