Thursday, December 1, 2022

I like Pretty Red oil

 



As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.

This is  a short discourse in why I hate paid trolls and absolute boneheads leaving feedback in comments about products. You get glowing reviews of products which are shit, attacks on products which are good and comments from people who can not spell or have the reasoning of a wokester.


The mother purchased as chainsaw after the old man died. It was from a hardware chain, same brand as the chainsaw in Poulan. I am not going to get into the 2 cycle oil mixed into the gas as you can find reams of that same bullshit online. Me? I used Pennzoil 2 cycle in the yellow quart bottle. Never have had a problem with it, in a cap in a tank full of gas for this chainsaw. Just is easier than mixing up gas in all those ratios. I figure more lube in the gas, better for the pistons it is lubing, up to a point.

This is about the other oil a chainsaw uses and that is bar and chain oil. People have a great deal of trouble with their oilers, which means idiots are not working the right oil and that is pretty hard as the fact is bar oil is like cottonpicker grease, it is the low end oil and just has some additive to make it tacky so it will stick better to the chain and bar to reduce wear and heat.

You do not need high grade oil, when it is spraying out on the ground and the chain non stop while cutting. Simply is a waste.

I do believe you need better oil than 30 weight though, even if that will work. I had a gallon of this red Poulan stuff from the start and just about finished it off, when I started looking for oil. Everything has changed now and you get these Stihl advocates, in I have a gallon of that too for like 15 bucks sitting here, and you can get some Walmart special stuff which I will not trust on a chainsaw as I do not trust Walmart, and I asked someone selling bulk Poulan oil what colour it was.........no reply, so am not going to buy that shit either.

What I did find in a search was STP bar and chain oil. Everything STP makes is tacky. Is like taffy really so as Poulan oil was 20 bucks a gallon and STP was 13 bucks a gallon, I went with their red formula.

Yet when you read comments from Autozone (they charge 12 bucks shipping) you get people who love the oil, and others who think it is bad because it is not Stihl or it is red coloured like transmission fluid.

My original Poulan bar oil got like soft ice cream in below freezing temperatures. It was like syrup though in the 50's and 60's. The thing is that people who say, "This is thick oil", miss the point that 90 weight gear oil is thick too, but you do not want that in a chainsaw as it is like jelly at below freezing and you want that oil splattering on your chain.

As a gallon of bar oil will last me years, I got two and decided Jesus would return before I was out of oil.

So what do you learn from all the comments and the bullshit? Not to trust most of it. I wanted something that was like what I had. I know STP products that they are all tacky, so this goo will suffice in what I need it for. That is not saying other oil is bad. It is saying that I do not trust anything out of China or what is coming on the market now in these high priced gallons of oil. That is not to say that I would not trust some non detergent 30 weight oil from a tractor supply store, even if it is not that tacky as it should be, because most of my chainsaw work is done in cool to cold weather, which compliments any 30 weight oil.

We had an old maxim in our Farmalls. 10 weight in winter. 30 weight in summer. At 20 below 30 weight oil is like sludge. 10 is not that great either until you get it moving in the engine.

So that is a the short course in this. I like Poulan chainsaws of the past era. If you are not a beat the shit out of those chainsaws they will hold up like mine has. I just make sure that I use good quality oil in the gas and on the bar as things tell really fast when you skimp, just like those people who use shitty gas and then blame ethanol.

I would that STP and Pennzoil both sponsored me, but they do not. I use their stuff because it is good stuff. They would only send me a case of oil anyway and I am still on my first quart of Pennzoil for the chainsaw and I still am finishing the bar oil, so it is not like I would be using it up even if Jesus delays.


For my work, I always fill up the gas tank and the bar reservoir every time. It is stupid to run low. I always top things off when I quit working too, so things are ready to go when I want to work again.

The last point in this is........maybe you should be caching a few supplies like oil as you kind of will be needing it, and they are not making chainsaws anymore, whether woke or meltdown, so the things have to last awhile.


Nuff Said

*

Verified Purchaser

★★★★★

★★★★★5 out of 5 stars. · 3 hours ago  

stop oil

very good for chais saw



★★★★★

★★★★★1 out of 5 stars. · a month ago  

Bad

very bad oil for chainsaws seems transmission



*

Verified Purchaser

★★★★★

★★★★★5 out of 5 stars. · 5 months ago  

Price

Great price for a good product. The oil is thick , thicker than others I've tried.




Verified Purchaser

★★★★★

★★★★★3 out of 5 stars. · 11 months ago  

Proper lubricant for bar and chain

This is a ok product but doesn’t do half the job Stilli oil does and is way overpriced



agtG