Tuesday, October 17, 2023

A Power Cord

 






As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.


I have no idea how long the electric will stay lit up in the end times as I have not inquired. For most of us, it will be lights on yet for this season.


As I'm still scavanging in preparation, I got a hay feeder from Neighbor John last year that I never got around to welding. It is meant to be on a running gear, but the old one the old man had, is froze in the rear end, and as I do not have time, this thing is going to perch on railroad planks for this winter.


The one thing most people do not have are good extension cords, and you will need them, for generators, sneaking power from other outlets if you are on the move or just to do something like having an electric stove that you picked up, and as they do in the South, put them in the garage to cook as you do not want your house heated up in 100 degree weather withtout an AC or rationed power.


There are two cords 120 and 220 volt. The 120 is basic for most things, the 220 is where you water heater, electric stove, dryer, AC sometimes and welder comes in.




You have to be careful though as there are 30 and 50 amp 220 sockets, they do not match in the male plug ins, so you need an extension cord or both types to be prepared as if you do not have the right end, you are not getting a date no more than boys did with centerfolds back in the 1980's. You just pay to look.


I priced the 220's and Home Depot was expensive. Wokemart is worse yet. I finally tried Ebay and there were vendors on there who were reasonable.

I got 50 foot cords. The one was 10 gauge wire at like 75 dollars which I did not buy as for 125 I picked up a heavier 8 gauge wire which can carry a whole lot more load.


My reasoning was, that I have to push that hay feeder into this tight spot to weld it. It will save me an hour's work to just move the welder to the feeder, run the extension cord and weld it there and be done with it.

I can use this cord in JYG"s travel trailer which is hooked for 220 so I will not have to rewire it. I can use this for the generator or an emergency.


The price is high, but I just paid scrap price for an end of 220 copper 200 wire at 18 dollars. It does not have the ends on it, so it is almost cheaper to get the extension cord already made out of Chinamart.


Yes I should have two types or three, but the budget will not allow. This is a post though to inform you to have these devices as you will need them.

Why there are not more of them around with all these junked travel trailers, I do not know, but I have this one coming, to weld the feeder, which will free up some space in the yard and get the cattle fed in large supply, in case I can't get them fed later as things are coming down the pike.


That's it.


Nuff Said