Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Penetrating Oil

Methyl Salicylate 1000ml High Purity (Oil of Wintergreen)

As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.

I have a Yahoo account as I have mentioned, but I never use the thing, except as my online file storage area. No not for this blog, but for the things I love to do. It is a series of cut and paste things that I find, so they will not disappear.

I never have enough time now to go in there and play, but I did log in to it, after someone signed me up to a jeans site from............the Middle East. Any way, the point being is I was looking for a post I had on Penetrating Oil.

Back in the day my dad had Essential Lube, which we put on everything from Cheerios to deodorant. They still make it, but it is expensive, and as I was looking for a good penetrating oil for that junk gun project, I went in search in my archives and found an old well drillers formula on a ranch site and it contained this:

1 quart diesel oil
1 quart automatic transmission fluid dextron which is GM I think is what they said
1 cup brake fluid.

Apparently the diesel and atf catches a ride on the brake fluid which is caustic, as it "climbs the metal" or meaning it penetrates it. I suspect it is something to do with the atomic structure in things looking to take atomic structures from another source, like the brake fluid is polar to the iron oxide, but TL is the nuclear scientist in the family, so I just do the layman wording of things.

Many people use 1 quart of Acetone (fingernail polish remover) and 1 quart automatic transmission fluid, for like penetrating results. Obviously most of you reading this for stuck screws do not need a half gallon of that stuff around, so smaller brews can be made.
Oh and acetone eats plastic I think it is said, so do not put it into plastic containers or you will end up with a puddle of stink to clean up.


If you can find any, you might try Oil of Wintergreen = Methyl Salicylate. It used to be sold in the drug store near here for use as a rubefacient, but is harder to find now. It is what gives the odor to Marvel Mystery oil, and was used by Navy technicians working on P-3's at the nearby base to free stuck fasteners; they and I used it straight out of the bottle but you could also add it to the transmission fluid for general use.

This will save you a great deal of frowning.




agtG