Thursday, October 16, 2014

Mason Stove




As another Lame Cherry exclusive in matter anti matter.


Being in poverty, I  just can not go out and buy soapstone stoves to look pretty and bring heat into Mom's home where we are waiting around for something to turn up, as who has over 1000 bucks for anything like that.

I have been for some time working on some type of  trash burner in reality to produce additional heat, as natural gas or electricity is going to bankrupt everyone in trying to heat a house.

There are two types of heat I am expounding upon, and the first was one I found in a post years ago in man in the Pacific Northwest who needed heat, but was renting and the owner stipulated like an ass, "Sure you can put in a wood burner, but you got to leave it in the house when you leave."
Nothing like raping the poor people.

So this guy found two semi truck hubs from a junk yard. He welded a heavy sheet metal around the hubs, put in a vent for the pipe, and used an angle iron to get it off the floor welded to a base, and that was his cheap ass stove which worked.

I would do one thing different as sheet metal is a bitch to try and bend, and that is in my youth I saw a local blacksmith manufacturing woodburners which were rectangle pipe of about 4 inches.
Rectangle pipe like that, welded into a circle around these hubs, would work, and you could seal the joints with JB Weld. If you created a sheet metal plate to stoke it with wood and clean ash, I would think on the one end, you could mount an old furnace blower, which would then use the rectangle pipes as a sort of radiator, and one could make one hell of a Ben  Franklin evolution in a very very very hot blow torch.
Fill half the pipe with cement, and this would hold heat for some time, like firebrick and then all your fuel would not be going up the pipe.

The second part of this is the Russian masonary stove I mentioned in a previous post, as those Siberians had to learn how to survive in 60 below weather, and having no cast iron, the answer was a concrete stove.

My design I am thinking of at this point, and am placking this here for my records, is to use cinder blocks, and order one of those cast iron barrel kits for the metal parts of door and pipe, and I would have my stove.
The construction I think would be in the basement as heat rises, and use a 9 cinder blocks as the "legs".
On this I would make two platforms of plywood, simply sat upon uncemented cinder blocks, which would later be slid out. This floor would be like a cement sidewalk in being reinforced concrete, with a 2 x 4 side for height.

On this I would build my masonry stove, how many blocks high I would care to have.

In the back, I would leave out one or two blocks, and cement the area in with a hole to accept the flue for venting the smoke up the chimney.

The top I have an idea for, as Mom has sitting outside an old wood cook stove. That top is cast iron, and I have no idea why I can not find these all over the place, as every farm had several of them tossed out, and that is what I would build the top to receive this cast iron top.
It would simply be a 2 by 6 screwed around the top, one screwed into place on the inside, and I would start filling it with cement. I would place inside this on the inside boards a specially cut 1 by in order to form an L shaped table to receive the old cast iron stove top.

My reasoning for doing this, is this would be a basement stove, which I would need both heat immediate to have the heat rise for the floor and through the door, which the cast iron would bleed up, and the mason would provide 12 hours of heat which would bleed off slowly.

With a mason stove, like a fireplace, you need a foundation which will hold that kind of weight. Mom's is a stone cellar so that not a problem.

The pisser in this is I need to put an outside entrance in, with a block chimney which is the cost. It is though a reality, that for around one to two hundred dollars I could build any of these stoves, which would cost over 1000 dollars otherwise.
The mason stove if made correct, would last forever as concrete does not rust out which the Russians proved.

This is what I had stirring in my head as I was trying to rest and recouperate from exhaustion and not feeling very well. Everything would just be so much easier to just go out and buy things, but then the poor people would not have me posting here figuring out how to have them survive.



agtG